Talk

Advanced search

Hampton School

(26 Posts)
boxoftissues Wed 03-Dec-14 14:26:26

Anyone with a boy in year 7 (1st year)?

I really like the school based on a recent visit. My son is at state primary. How realistic are his chances of securing a place?

And are they looking for a particular type of bright boy?

And any tips/info about the test as they don't publish past papers.

Thankyou.
smile

mimbleandlittlemy Wed 03-Dec-14 15:55:01

I know a number of boys who have gone there in the last 3 years and all of them were at state primary and all very different. One is a small serious geek who hates sport but loves maths and science, one is an all-rounder who is great at rugby but also a very talented musician. The others are all very sporty and bright too.

They certainly take a far higher proportion of state school children than Latymer Upper which seems to be the other west London school everyone with boys sits.

castlesintheair Wed 03-Dec-14 18:26:56

I know lots of boys there. All from state primaries except 2. All highly tutored, clever boys with strong extra-curricular interests. It doesn't have to be sport although the majority are, one boy for example is really into drama/singing (now Year 8).

They like them to be good at maths at entry so from a state primary you are looking at level 6 sats (although say 5 on their info/website). According to my DS when he sat it, the English paper was really easy, maths and reasoning more challenging (he was a level 6+ in maths at the time). Practice past papers for schools like Godolphin & Latymer/KCW (these schools do publish them) and you will be along the right lines.

DontGotoRoehampton Wed 03-Dec-14 18:50:14

Agree about just looking at other schools' papers to use as practice.
DS was offered a scholarship there 3 years ago - 50%, but we decided on another school as he was offered more money there grin. DS is good at maths but really struggles with English, and was also ill on the day of the exam, so would seem that not necessary to be English whizz. I can't remember what the reasoning was, but DS was good at VR & NVR, state school, no tutoring, but had done the Bond VR & NVR books with me at home as we originally had a vague idea of entering for Tiffin but did not want the full-on Tiffin type tutoring.. Boys we know there are nice, reasonably intelligent boys, not necessarily sporty, but if they are is 'football' rather than 'rugby' type sporty.

makemelaugh Wed 03-Dec-14 19:35:29

OP,
DS was offered a place at Hampton, from a state primary, tutored at home by us. Re the exam, he said maths was really difficult and didn't have time to finish it, reasoning etc fine. I think he shone at the interview plus very strong extracurricular interest/talent which the school was eager to nourish. Worth a try, boys very happy there but very academically demanding.

boxoftissues Wed 03-Dec-14 20:23:54

Thankyou all so much for your responses.

Very encouraging to hear a good proportion of state school boys have got a place at Hampton.

I will download the test papers from G&L etc, thanks for the tip.

The plan is for him to sit the 10+ as a mock test but not sure if it's a good idea in case his confidence is knocked if he doesn't pass.

Did anyone else try this strategy and how did your DS react if he wasn't offered a place? Although I know everyone is different and some boys will be affected more than others.

DontGotoRoehampton Wed 03-Dec-14 20:29:05

OP we used 10+ as a bellwether to calibrate for 11+ - they did well at 10+ so 11= was just for scholarships. lots of their friends did 10+, did not get places, but tried again at 11+ and did. So... is just a dry run, no stakes, just to get exam practice... good luck!

boxoftissues Wed 03-Dec-14 20:43:22

Thanks for the reply. I think that will be our plan too.

Just need to try not to get too stressed about it all now!

castlesintheair Wed 03-Dec-14 22:14:10

10+ is a great trial run. You get feedback from the school which is very helpful. We did it with no pressure, and no tutoring. There's always the bonus of an early place but best to emphasise it as "just practice" imo.

boxoftissues Thu 04-Dec-14 08:14:30

Oh didn't realise school gave feedback at 10+, that's very useful to know. Thankyou so much smile

AnnaG Thu 04-Dec-14 11:09:01

DS is currently in year 8 and is loving it. He's come from a state school and there is a good split of state/private school intake. It's very down to earth. They work and play hard. There is a wide variety of activities from sports, art, music and other extra curricular activites. (They have a longer lunch hour to do clubs and everyone goes home at 4 to catch the coaches).

DS is strong in maths, attained level 6 in Maths. He is also strong in English. We didn't do much in terms of practice papers, as by the time we finished with all the grammar school exams, we all needed a break at Christmas and the exam came around quick enough.

Good luck, and if you have any questions please pm me.

boxoftissues Thu 04-Dec-14 20:16:36

AnnaG thankyou for the info. Your DS must be very bright to get a place without doing many practice papers for Hampton. Well done to him.

I will PM you soon when I am a little less busy, thankyou so much, really appreciate the help. smile

boxoftissues Fri 05-Dec-14 14:51:36

I am worried about the sporty aspect. DS is not into football and that's all they do at his school.

He does like cricket and athletics but doesn't belong to any clubs yet.

How proficient at a chosen sport would he need to be?

Dinocroc Fri 05-Dec-14 17:40:32

Have a go! My son is not highly tutored . In fact not tutored at all and we did the 10+ as a practice this November, which he passed and was offered a place. His primary is 'requiring intervention' at the moment. Oh and he plays no instruments and has two left feet, not in any school team. The head mistress of his school doesn't believe in such schools and sent no reference so they rang his class teacher.I don't post this to boast but when I read some of these threads before entering they were quite scary and made me think there was no hope. Have faith grin

boxoftissues Sat 06-Dec-14 14:35:05

Dinoroc, in that case your DS must be very naturally bright. Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.

At the recent open afternoon I attended at Hampton they said that last year they had 550+ applications for 125 places at 11+ so although it is not as competitive as say, Tiffin Girls, (1500 applications for 180 places) it is still fairly competitive.

Out of those 125 places, 60% went to state school boys.

We are definately going to give it a go. But I want to be realistic in my expectations as to whether DS is likely to be offered a place.

It is proving very difficult to judge at the moment!

Dinocroc Sat 06-Dec-14 16:36:39

Typed a long and rambling reply that it deleted! Basically I think you should go for it as if he gets a place great, if not you get feedback on what to work on and he has had experience of an exam. I'm very sympathetic as to having not a clue where they are when in a state primary, we went through that with DS1 and spread our bets with a range of schools. Incidentally DS1 is really happy at a different school that we want his brother to go to too. So bear in mind the stats don't take into account all those who turn down a place as we will probably again. The odds are better than they seem smile

boxoftissues Sat 06-Dec-14 18:25:28

Dinocroc would you mind saying which school you chose in the end? Or pm me?

Our back up is KGS. There don't seem to be many other options within reasonable travelling distance.

Dinocroc Sat 06-Dec-14 21:54:20

Sure thing we chose kgs and rejected Hampton. I like coed and the more relaxed vibe from kgs was great. I also think if you are an 11 a star person you will get that anywhere and stories of four hours of homework from Hampton worried me a bit. DS1 is really happy there so hopefully DS2 will pass too and if not Hampton is a back up.

Dinocroc Sat 06-Dec-14 21:56:54

Also I think the general opinion is that KGS is less academic but DS1 is near the bottom of his class in maths having been near the top and level 6 at primary so I'm not sure how justified that is

boxoftissues Sun 07-Dec-14 07:32:21

I must admit I was under the impression that KGS was less academic than Hampton.

What do you think of the art department at KGS? I was very impressed by Hampton, a bit less so by KGS. DS is very good at drawing so art is an important consideration.

boxoftissues Sun 07-Dec-14 07:36:30

Also the more relaxed vibe at KGS was a negative for me. I think DS would do better in a slightly more disciplined environment as he is inclined to be lazy and coast along.

Dinocroc Sun 07-Dec-14 10:41:04

The art department seems ok, I'm not sure I could judge it in comparison to Hampton to be honest. They have special classes and clubs for those with an interest.My son is a coaster but they do some iq type tests when they start in year 7 and though they don't tell you the number it was clear at patents evening that he was expected to be scoring more highly in maths than he is and they are on to him !....

oliviaaah Mon 22-Dec-14 16:41:28

My boy is doing the 11+ exam on Jan 5th. I'm trying hard not to worry. Box, I was really taken with the school and the atmosphere on the visitors' afternoon. DS is at a state primary too.

amidaiwish Mon 22-Dec-14 18:13:53

remember that with Hampton they have two entries - 11+ aimed at Denmead (with many of them pre-tested i believe) and state schools then the 13+ entry for prep schools.

Glad to hear about KGS, DD1 got the 10+ this year and we're going for it, decided to not apply to LEH despite the pressure to.

Poisonwoodlife Mon 22-Dec-14 19:01:14

Don't get too hung up on academic league tables, all these schools enable bright pupils to achieve their potential. pupils at KGS get A*s and to Oxbridge, it is just that schools like LEH and Hampton can be more selective and get pupils who are more likely to do well in exams. I have personal experience, though it was LEH and KGS not Hampton. DD was at both, don't confuse an encouraging vibe for a relaxed one. KGS bought out the best in her where the atmosphere at LEH fostered anxiety (though the new Head may change that) . Choose the school where your DC feels they will be happy and achieve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now