Talk

Advanced search

caterham/trinity/Whitgift -"so confused

(9 Posts)
PianoSlayer Tue 02-Dec-14 19:58:58

We've seen them all and individually they all have fantastic aspects that would suit my DS.

We keep going over all options - can't decide which we like best

Leeds2 Tue 02-Dec-14 20:09:15

Do you have any strong feelings about single sex/co ed? Which would your son prefer?

PianoSlayer Tue 02-Dec-14 20:22:10

He likes them all and can't decide
His major criteria is that he knows other children there/going there which he will do

I guess proximity is really important ?

Firefox1066 Tue 02-Dec-14 22:33:00

What age are we talking? 10+?, 11+?, 13+?

Seeline Wed 03-Dec-14 08:03:43

Caterham is obviously different in that it is not single sex (although Trinity now has co-ed sixth form).
What specific interests does your DS have that might be better catered for at one or other school?
Where do you live in relation to the schools - travel time is important. My DS is at T and if staying for after-school activities, I often collect him rather than have him come home on public transport. we are fairly close, but if an activity doesn't finish until 5.30 (which is quite normal) I can have him home by 5.45, eating supper by 6, so that he can then start homework at a reasonable time. If he uses public transport, he wouldn't be home until 6 - 6.15. Even in the first year he was getting 1.5 - 2hrs homework a night - which he often spent longer on.

Seeline Wed 03-Dec-14 08:04:33

I wouldn't worry about who is going where. My Ds was the only boy from his school in his year, and he settled in very quickly, and has lots of friends.

OwlCapone Wed 03-Dec-14 08:10:23

DS was one of only two from his school who went to T and it wasn't an issue. He wasn't in a class with that boy and made loads of new friends.

If you can not choose between them on any other level then I do think travel is important. T is actually a pain from where we are with no single direct bus.

For me, T won over W purely on gut feeling. Also, they offered a big scholarship which made the decision easier. You don't need to make a decision yet if you are planning to sit for all of them - the decision may be made for you in February.

LIZS Wed 03-Dec-14 08:13:07

Is this for Sept 2015? If so hasn't the entry deadline passed (13+ exams and 11+ interviews taken place already for C). Forget about who is going where , it often changes as time goes on and they make new friends quickly.

paleviewofhills Wed 03-Dec-14 08:43:00

Don't be swayed by who is going to what school. My ds went to W in year 6 without knowing a soul - it wasn't a problem at all. They make a bunch of new friends very quickly.

Personally proximity was important to us - W is a 15-minute bus ride away for ds (or a 10 min drive for me!) and it makes life very easy. But there are lots of other things to consider too! What intake is he, and what did he like about the schools?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now