Talk

Advanced search

Truro School

(6 Posts)
3humpedcamel Mon 01-Dec-14 10:09:27

I'm considering sending DD to this school as a boarder. Does anyone know whether it's a good school from an academic and boarding point of view? They say that they are one of the top schools in the South West for music? Any thoughts welcome - thank you.

cressetmama Tue 02-Dec-14 08:46:37

Would your DD consider a girls' boarding school? Truro High School has been quite highly thought of on both your criteria for many years. I know less about Truro School apart from it having a decent, if not stellar, reputation and rather suffering from the existence of a very well regarded sixth form college in Truro. After an Old Girls reunion last year, I thought the High School was looking pretty good, the girls very poised, and their academic standards impressive. A friend's DD has just left, but so has the rather sparkly headmistress. I can't offer an opinion on the music, having tin ears and no musical talent to speak of. Worth a look if you are going to Truro for a visit, perhaps?

TR4Lady Tue 02-Dec-14 23:36:09

Based on going to the recent open day and from parents I know, it's very good for science, maths and geology, and they are making real efforts to get the IT provision up to scratch. They do seem to hold a lot of musical and drama events, and the sports provision is very good - so it seems well rounded. The new head is very well thought of and parents are excited about his plans, too.

Quite a few children go to Truro College in the Sixth Form, but I hear locally that staff morale at the college is horrible, so time will tell whether TColl keeps up its current reputation.

I have been to the High School professionally, and to be honest I wasn't impressed by the premises. Very 70s and crowded. They always seem to be advertising so I do wonder about their numbers. Friend whose daughter attends is overall pleased, with a few niggles, but I haven't seen her for a while and can't remember what they are!

3humpedcamel Thu 04-Dec-14 13:06:03

Thank you both for this. We're not considering Truro High I'm afraid. DD is keen on both music and drama, so that sounds promising. Do you know how Truro School does on the arts and languages side?

Coconutty Thu 04-Dec-14 17:34:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stickerrocks Thu 04-Dec-14 20:34:25

I know a lot has changed in the 25 years since I left (technically I'm an old boy, as girls were only allowed in the 6th form) but I loved it. I would have sent my daughter there if we still lived in Cornwall. My friends have children there and are are very happy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: