Talk

Advanced search

Year 7 parents - anyone else's dc struggling with tiredness?

(9 Posts)
Calmthefeckdown Wed 26-Nov-14 20:47:50

Dd has just had her third meltdown this week (big one this evening, like a toddler's tantrum <sigh>) - she hasn't hit puberty yet but I presume there are hormones swilling around. Main problem is she is absolutely exhausted. She has a long commute to school and a reasonable (not unreasonable IMO) amount of homework. Anyone else's dc struggling and any suggestions on what to do?
We have routines in place about getting homework done so that she has some relaxing time, she goes to bed at a sensible time. Nothing I can do about the commute sad

TalkinPeace Wed 26-Nov-14 21:14:48

Mine are much older but yes, year 7 is UTTERLY exhausting
as is year 12
come January and the days getting longer it will get better

allow long lie ins at the weekend if you can and allow at least three days of doing burger all over the xmas hols

Calmthefeckdown Wed 26-Nov-14 21:20:33

Yes, will keep holidays low key, good idea. At the moment not sure how we're going to drag her through to Christmas though!

Missedcall974 Wed 26-Nov-14 22:47:25

My year 7 is never tired. Bedtime is midnight as it has been for past 2 years. I wish DC was more tired sometimes.

vjg13 Wed 26-Nov-14 23:23:10

It is such a change to the primary school routine. My daughter is generally more snappy and nasty which I put done to a combination of tiredness and start of puberty. She has exams for the last week of term too so will just have lots of rest and relaxation in the holidays if we all survive that far!

OldBeanbagz Thu 27-Nov-14 09:29:08

It does get easier after the first term, it's just such a big change (mentally as well as physically) from primary school.

That was our experience last year with DD although this year she has taken on loads more after school commitments. Taking in the travel time she'll be doing 11hr days all next week shock

PastSellByDate Thu 27-Nov-14 12:17:57

Hi Calm:

Not just you. DD1 (also Y7) fell asleep in the car last night - we were on our way home from collecting DD2 (Y5) from school club & Dad from work and had stopped by the store to pick up some milk/ bread. She was out cold. We hadn't even noticed she'd fallen asleep - the three of us had been happily chatting away.

Poor thing was really embarrassed...but we just laughed it off and said 'early to bed tonight I think!'

pointythings Thu 27-Nov-14 22:40:29

Oh yes.

DD2 is in Yr7 and she is so tired she is falling asleep on my shoulder when I read to her at night. Full on sleep with dreams.

She has a reasonable amount of homework and enjoys school is doing very well in all her tests, but it is sooo exhausting. I suspect she will get used to it and her body will adapt, it's only been just under a term. Add to that onset of puberty and massive growth spurt/hormones and I'm not really that surprised.

Christmas homework had better just be the Yr7 castle model and not much else.

Agggghast Sun 30-Nov-14 07:56:39

I think it has been a long term for all Year 7s. The ones at our school are starting to look really tired and squabbles are creeping in. You also have to remember they have been trying to make an impression with both staff and their peers. Last lesson on Friday I was reading Beowulf to them and one boy fell asleep and others were clearly going that way.

Fortunately next week is panto week where the timetable is collapsed and each tutor group writes and puts on a panto. It usually gives them a break and helps them relax. It has been a stressful term and most have changed a lot since September.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now