Talk

Advanced search

Meltdown about year 9 in year admissions in Hertfordshire, help!

(11 Posts)
Romysgirl Mon 17-Nov-14 19:14:36

We are moving to the Herts/Bucks border (on the Herts side) shortly and have found all the comps and selective schools are full, apart from Ashlyn's in Berko. I have applications for Chesham Grammar, Parmiters, Rickmansworth, STAGs, Beaumont, Dr Challoners and St Clement Danes but have been told they are oversubscribed. Is it really worth putting my DD through the stress of entrance exams? Do places ever come up in year 9 and 10? I've been advised that students sit a number of one hour exams in English, maths, science and a language....yikes! Although I have confidence in her abilities, I really don't want to put her through unnecessary pressure...equally I'd like to give it a shot if there's even the smallest chance of getting into a really good school.

I've read mixed reports about Ashlyn's but understand the Head is excellent and the school is really improving?

Being new to a selective system, I am baffled, any thoughts and advice welcome....

Livvylongpants Mon 17-Nov-14 19:17:29

What about tring? Mp idea if it's full but my DSS goes there and they have been great with him

poisonedbypen Mon 17-Nov-14 19:21:09

I'd be surprised if there aren't places at Chesham Grammar as they have often been undersubscribed in the past. Have you asked the schools? Their entrance tests will vary by school so you also need to ask them about those. The people on the elevenplusexams.co.uk forum may be able to help you

Romysgirl Mon 17-Nov-14 20:04:11

Thank you poisonedbypen, I'll take a look at that forum. Apparently Chesham are currently full but they have advised to apply for a year 10 place! Different county but only a few miles away so I'm going to apply for this year and next

Thanks Livvylongpants, hadn't thought of Tring! Worth a shot!!

Livvylongpants Mon 17-Nov-14 21:51:09

My DSS is in year 9. He got in on appeal in year 7 but know some kids have left so they may well not have places but everyone I know who's kids go there are happy.

My friends DD goes to Ashlyns. I'm going to playgroup with her tomorrow so will ask her for some more info

notquiteruralbliss Mon 17-Nov-14 23:36:48

In your position I would try for a Chesham with Ashlyns as a backup (or interim measure if a Chesham will have places in Y10). I have DCs at Chesham. (they seem to be pretty happy with it) and know people whose DCs have been happy with Ashlyns. Results from Chesham are better, but that is to be expected given the selective intake.

Romysgirl Tue 18-Nov-14 07:08:23

Thankyou notquite and livvy!

sunnyrosegarden Tue 18-Nov-14 08:28:49

I have friends with children at Ashlyns - they are very happy with it.

newgirl123 Mon 24-Nov-14 16:57:06

Hi there

You have listed the MOST popular schools in the area - there are plenty of options in other Herts/Bucks schools so if you need a place right now I am sure you can find one. Eg Sandringham is good and quite large so a place might come up. Marlborough has very good exam results and looks very smart and is easy to get to from motorways. Places do come up at stags, parmiters, beaumont etc but the usual rules apply on distance so you'd need to live very near one - pos within 1km. Parm places are mostly allocated to exam/music results (though it's a state school) and there will be a keen waiting list so any place that comes up I 'think' will be offered to the child who scored next highest on the entrance (if they still want it).

If you are still stuck def go visit some of the other St A schools and put your name down for as many as you can.

Romysgirl Tue 25-Nov-14 08:00:55

Thank you Newgirl. I've widened the search as you suggested to include St Albans and it's good to hear that places occasionally come up in local schools. Many thanks for your advice.

MarjorieMelon Tue 25-Nov-14 17:50:25

Have you looked at Ashlyns leavers destinations for 2014? Pretty impressive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now