Talk

Advanced search

How do I go about finding a maths GCSE tutor?

(6 Posts)
SageSeymour Fri 14-Nov-14 10:30:59

I'm looking for a private maths tutor for DD - she's due to rake her GCSEs this school year so I'd like to start private tuition once a week in the next month or so. She's predicted an A but she's struggling quite a lot and definitely needs the help.

Do I go through the school? The council? I just can't think where to start!

Thanks in advance

blueemerald Fri 14-Nov-14 10:33:54

Start with school, ask if any of the other teachers in the maths department (it is frowned upon to tutor students in your class) would be willing to tutor her or if they can recommend anyone. I suspect in the run up to xmas someone will bite your hand off.

ChillySundays Fri 14-Nov-14 13:54:32

Word of mouth is the best so if you can ask around parents. My DD had one who was recommended and who I subsequently went on to recommend. She still says if it wasn't for him she would have failed. Teacher at school was shocking

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 14-Nov-14 17:21:30

When I was tutoring I got a lot of work through The Tutor Pages - tutors have to pay to be listed on there and it's free for punters. As a tutor you have to write quite a lot about yourself on there, and also write at least one article (that anyone can find and read), so you can get quite a feel for someone I think.

OddBoots Sun 16-Nov-14 15:22:04

We found out about an online tutoring company called Maths Doctor on here and it has been brilliant for my son, he's been using it once or twice a week for the past 6 months or so and learns a lot from it (and really enjoys it too).

Mindgone Sun 16-Nov-14 22:55:14

I would say ask friends, you might be surprised at the number that use tutors. School may frown on the request, but it may make them offer extra help for free! We have used Tutorhunt. Always say you're trying it out for one session, so it's easier to stop if you don't think you're getting value.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now