Talk

Advanced search

GRRRR 6th form open evening " no parking on site"

(9 Posts)
Theas18 Thu 13-Nov-14 08:05:02

Just had that text from the youngest about tonight.

Firstly she can't possibly be needing a 6th form open evening, she is my baby.... the world has gone mad!

Secondly this is an extremely oversubscribed school in an ordinary residential area. How pissed off are the local residents going to be ? As I can't leave work till the last possible minute it is almost not worth me going as I'll be parked miles away.

There has not been a problem at any other time (and we've been involved there for 10+ years now) except the junior prize giving which was an afternoon event. Open evenings, parents eve, plays etc always park in the playgrounds ( and there is a boys school on the site too so effectively 2 schhols worth of space to park)

OwlCapone Thu 13-Nov-14 08:07:46

Firstly she can't possibly be needing a 6th form open evening, she is my baby.... the world has gone mad!

I'm with you on this one, Except my Baby is male and a shade over 6ft tall.

I expect the residents will be used to it by now. It does seem daft though.

pinkfrocks Thu 13-Nov-14 09:56:37

The reason for no parking on site is that the staff won't be able to park is all the parents park too.

eatyourveg Thu 13-Nov-14 17:55:58

Yes local residents do get annoyed. We live within 500yds of 2 heavily oversubscribed secondaries and open evenings are hellish - the police close the road off for one of the schools and we have to come in the other end, the parents are shuttle bussed in from sainsburys car park in town but you wouldn't know it from all the surrounding road chaos and blocking of driveways

Theas18 Thu 13-Nov-14 23:06:28

Well as it was, due to over organised dd telling us to be there promptly for the choir items ahead of the ht talk we were about the first there and got the parking at the end of the zigzags lololol

Great evening , though horrid having to encourage her into an exam system where the English dept for instance is over half a term into a still unconfirmed syllabus. It's clear the gove strategies take no account of the kids stuck in the middle sad

Taking comfort from the fact that she's academically able and terminal exams, as long as she controls her nerves , won't really be a problem. However it's not even clear if she'll have to take 4 subjects through to A2! It's just a different proscess of assessment - back to what dh and I did in O level days. But some kids will get so very different grades here than they would have had 2yrs ago when there was lots of course work.

itsaknockout Sat 15-Nov-14 17:34:28

Iam guessing the school has been there longer than most of the residents

Bunbaker Sat 15-Nov-14 17:38:31

This is a problem at DD's school. At the year 7 open evening they reckon to have had about 1300 people through the doors, all vying for 270 places. The small market town it is in was almost at a standstill and the school sent out a letter of apology to all the local residents. They really weren't expecting this many people.

It is just a good state comprehensive school BTW.

bigTillyMint Sat 15-Nov-14 18:43:48

Theas, I feel your pain re all the sixth form stuff. Especially the Gove-related issuesangry

The parking is an issue at just about all sixth form open evenings in London!

stn24 Sat 22-Nov-14 21:21:59

60 places for external pupils at the local GS, more than 1500 people turned up. All hell broke out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now