Talk

Advanced search

Y8 - going backwards

(10 Posts)
Lovetheleaves Sun 09-Nov-14 16:20:37

My ds has struggled with English vocab and comprehension all through primary education. I have noticed a big deterioration since September in all subjects that are English language based so therefore English, history , geography. I have resorted to being near now for homework and making him set out guideline answers , rereading text , highlighting important notes and saying his answers out loud . The volume of work is huge now and this is taking immense amount of time. He is easily distracted and really does not retain alot of what he is learning. I end up getting sucked into his arguments about why he has to learn it etc etc and I'm drained after spending the last couple of hours looking at poetry and history essays etc.
any tips for him to improve and for me to help him (without actually having to do the work for him ) I have said we will do 30 min English work every day but what would we focus on.

PolterGoose Sun 09-Nov-14 17:26:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lovetheleaves Sun 09-Nov-14 18:00:44

I was thinking of doing that although that was all checked at primary level. He just can't seem to cope with the sheer volume he is getting.

StudyExamMentor Mon 10-Nov-14 14:17:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

StudyExamMentor Mon 10-Nov-14 14:17:50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now