Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas on an appropriate parting gift for DS's 11+ tutor?

(6 Posts)
BeOptimistic Sat 08-Nov-14 14:06:32

DS is coming up to his last session with his 11+ tutor. Is it customary to buy a parting gift? If so what have you brought and roughly how much have you spent?

Sparky05 Sat 08-Nov-14 16:26:04

We bought flowers and a thank you card. Lots of people don't buy them anything, but cards and flowers are usually quite nice.

Taffeta Sat 08-Nov-14 16:34:14

DS bought ours a box of Matchmakers with his own money. I didn't get him anything extra as our gift to him is DD. grin

A friend of mine bought him a bottle of whiskey.

TheLovelyBoots Sun 09-Nov-14 14:22:12

Wow, you're generous - after what I spent on tutoring, I didn't feel like buying a present. But, I had one of these Central London uber-tutors who verge on mercenary.

I've just started tutoring my youngest with a friend of our family who charges half what the uber-tutor did, and I will probably give her a bottle of wine or similar when we part ways.

ChocolateWombat Sun 09-Nov-14 18:43:55

I think a bottle of wine or tin of biscuits is fine.
I always try to buy a small gift for people who do things with my DC....the piano teacher, the swimming teacher, Brownie leader etc. I just think its nice to show some appreciation, even if people are paid. Tbh, a box of matchmakers or Roses chocolates costs £2 which is nothing in the realms of tutoring cots or piano lessons.
For the brownie leader (voluntary) I try to get something a bit bigger. Bizarrely people buy for their teachers, but not the volunteer Brownie leader who gives up loads of time over many years.

tess73 Mon 10-Nov-14 12:45:00

a card thanking them with a personal message is important, tin of biscuits (my dd eats a LOT of her biscuits), bottle of wine etc.. all go down well but the card is the most important thing i think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now