Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths in Plymouth

(9 Posts)
135MAddie123 Thu 06-Nov-14 14:11:10

If there are any mums out there whose daughters are interested in finding out about careers in Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths (STEM), please read on. We are holding a STEM Careers Exhibition at UTC Plymouth for all girls 12-19 on 2nd December at 5:30pm.
We have brought together women from a host of organisations and companies, who are already doing STEM jobs and loving what they do. They have volunteered to come along and talk to your daughter about their experiences, what the pros and cons are and how to make it in a STEM career. If you'd like to know more visit www.utcplymouth.org and register an interest.
Our aim is simple: Get the Curious talking to the Experts. We have engineering companies, University Groups, Babcock, Fine tubes, National Marine Aquarium, Radiotherapy Unit from Derriford Hospital, Army, Air Force and Royal Navy as well as Hulley Environmental Engineers and Westward Food Microbiologists.
We're here to help your girls make informed choices. Please pass it on.

PastSellByDate Fri 07-Nov-14 12:32:37

I think that's great - could I suggest that it would be helpful to put a few of the more inspiring/ entertaining talks on-line so those further away/ unable to attend might also get a chance to benefit as well.

Could you consider offering to share a link to videos form your conference with WISE (www.wisecampaign.org.uk/? stemettes (www.stemettes.org/? or similar?

Whyjustwhyagain Fri 07-Nov-14 16:05:23

Putting some of the talks online is an excellent idea, Plymouth is a good 2+ hours from us so attending this event on a school night is a non-starter

135MAddie123 Fri 07-Nov-14 18:26:23

This is not so much a series of formal talks. This event is more let's talk STEM careers with women who are doing the job; where the girls are encouraged to ask the questions face to face. The women we've gathered here are first class. They tell it like it is based on experience and genuinely encourage the girls to have a go, build resilience and instil confidence. We just want more girls to experience this, so they will feel more confident, reassured and informed. a STEM career ticks so many boxes is fantastically rewarding. both in terms of job satisfaction and salary, and there is a real shortage of skilled people in these areas. Please encourage the girls in Plymouth and the surrounding areas to come along and become informed and hopefully inspired by some excellent role models. www.utcplymouth.org

BackforGood Sun 09-Nov-14 17:22:58

Sounds great, however as Plymouth is I guess at least 4 hrs from here, it would be even better if anyone heard of things like this happening in other places too smile

Leeds2 Sun 09-Nov-14 17:29:19

Sadly, too far away for me/DD to attend, but I just wanted to say that I think it is a fabulous idea and I hope the event is a success.

BackforGood Sun 09-Nov-14 17:35:17

Thanks for the links though PastSellByDate - just had a very interesting mooch around those sites. smile

mothermirth Fri 14-Nov-14 11:10:03

Thank you 135MAddie123, that's just what my DD needs. smile

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 14-Nov-14 12:42:42

For those further away who want to inspire their girls early last year Nature magazine did a fantastic feature on women in Science with some wonderful interviews.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now