Talk

Advanced search

TeamFortressII - how long should a 12 year old be playing?

(7 Posts)
BusyBusyBusy1 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:14:07

My 12 yo DS plays TeamFortress II for hours - 5 hours a day at weekends, and 2 hours a day in weekdays (after school). I think this is too much but my DH thinks we should not set a limit. Opinions please...

swarskicat Wed 05-Nov-14 21:03:29

We have a 'no screen time' until homework and music practice done policy, which works well in our house. My 13 year old would never be on a computer game for more than an hour, but mostly because would not have time between other activities.

Whatever you agree needs to be imposed by both you and DH, as otherwise confusing for child and encourages him to play you off against each other.

TeenAndTween Thu 06-Nov-14 11:52:04

You should ban it completely. It appears to be a 15 rating.

That much game play is unhealthy whatever the game. Think about all the other activities your DS is not doing when playing on the game for 20 hours per week. Screen time is earned in our house and depends on homework and other activities being done. Does your DS do sport, music, read, talk to you? One interpretation would be your DH is happy for the game to babysit your DS so he doesn't have to interact with his own child. Or is he "cool Dad" who doesn't like to say no.

Dustylaw Thu 06-Nov-14 21:45:06

Sounds like he is turning into a normal teenage boy. Does he work hard at school, do his homework, do enough sport, do some extracurricular activities or hobbies, have friends? If not then time to cut down a bit. If he does then relax and let him chill out. I don't know TeamFortress but I wouldn't be worried if it is just shootem up stuff but I always said the line is drawn at anything sadistic or nasty and thankfully that has never arisen.

TheLovelyBoots Fri 07-Nov-14 07:11:30

I think one hour a day is probably a sensible policy.

I disagree with your husband in the strongest terms possible.

BusyBusyBusy1 Sun 09-Nov-14 07:55:57

Thanks for all your advice, I like the idea of saying that screen time comes after homework etc...let's see if I can put that into practice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now