loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any GCSE History teachers around - GCSE predicted results

(9 Posts)
SmatteringOfPatois Tue 04-Nov-14 21:35:06

2013 results were 81%
predicted 2014 were 70% - have yet to establish final %

What would be the reasons behind an 11% predicted drop?

oddsocksmostly Tue 04-Nov-14 21:50:40

Differing ability of the cohort?

NoelleHawthorne Tue 04-Nov-14 21:54:38

coursework marking

elliepac Tue 04-Nov-14 21:55:47

Head of History here. I agree that it will be down to a different cohort of slightly less able pupils. Our targets fluctuate according to the pupils who choose to study History. Current yr 11 are targetted 90%, Year 10 72%.

SmatteringOfPatois Tue 04-Nov-14 21:58:07

thanks for the reply oddsock, yes, that's a good reason.

On reflection perhaps my question should be, would the powers that be at a secondary be alarmed at an 11% predicted drop?

SmatteringOfPatois Tue 04-Nov-14 22:09:21

thanks you for replies, very interesting.

skylark2 Wed 05-Nov-14 08:30:40

How many are in the class?

If there are 9 kids taking it, that's 1 pupil. If there's one class of 27, it's 3 pupils. It would be completely normal for a class of 27 to one year have 3 more academically able kids in it than another year.

The powers that be should maybe be alarmed that their more able pupils are avoiding a traditional academic subject which is useful later on for a variety of degrees.

I say this as someone who made a decision aged 14 which meant I couldn't apply to Cambridge. It wasn't the end of the world but it did close a door which really should still have been open.

elliepac Thu 06-Nov-14 06:47:35

I think that the level of alarm for the powers that be all depends upon the pupils in the cohort. If the predicted 11% drop is because there are some pupils who are predicted to underachieve then maybe but as already said it may just be 1 or 2 pupils who could have other issues/be underperforming everywhere. If all pupils are predicted to perform at their target level then they will not be concerned at all. Worth mentioning that a 70odd% (can't remember the actual figure as on phone) is a really good pass rate. Nationally the average for History is around 65%.

StudyExamMentor Mon 10-Nov-14 14:02:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now