Talk

Advanced search

Harris purley

(14 Posts)
Cabbagesaregreen Wed 29-Oct-14 18:22:12

Hi
Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on this school? How are they with more able children? Do they set them and make sure they're stretched? What are they like pastorally? How is behaviour?
Thanks.

MrsGhoulofGhostbourne Wed 29-Oct-14 19:15:07

Not worked at the Harris in Purley, but have worked at other Harris schools (I am a supply teacher) and have been very impressed with the behaviour policy. (Harris have the same policy in all their schools)
As a supply teacher (and all schools use supply teachers)I do get to see the best and worst of behaviour in secondary schools grin) and the thing that distinguishes the best and worst is a coherent behaviour policy that everyone understands.
FWIW I would be happier sending my DC to a Harris Academy than other schools in Surrey and other SW London schools I have worked in.

Cabbagesaregreen Wed 29-Oct-14 19:19:33

Thanks. That's very encouraging.

meadowquark Wed 29-Oct-14 22:53:53

I don't know about Harris Purley, but students of Harris SN do not behave very nice when I see them walking to school.

Cabbagesaregreen Thu 30-Oct-14 07:48:03

Whenever I've come across purley pupils they all seem to be behaving fine. Certainly look better presented than when haling manor.

MrsGhoulofGhostbourne Thu 30-Oct-14 08:56:01

One of the reasons I think the Harris classrooms are better learning environment than some other schools is absolute zero tolerance of mobile phone use. This is quite noticeable, an d a lot of classroom time can be wasted dealing with furtive mobile use.
In one particularly bad school I was in recently, but won't agree to work in again, the policy is only to confiscate a phone after three warnings... needless to say in that school a lot of time is wasted policing the warnings, and the girls knew they had three strikes before they were out - whioch is a lot of time wasted in a 50 minute lesson.
I assume other good schools have similar policy to Harris, and if I were looking for a school now for my DC I would definitely ask the to see the policy - it may seem unimportant to parents, but believe me, it does affect learning quite significantly.

Ebony69 Thu 30-Oct-14 12:29:42

I agree with meadow. The Harris SN children outside of school do not present in a way that would encourage me to send my children there. However, this is in stark contrast to Harris CP students who have a more refined manner about them.

meadowquark Thu 30-Oct-14 13:42:57

But Harris CP admissions is almost like lottery. No guaranteed entry if you live close by.
Also how about the talks that Harris excludes students from their levels if they feel the will not pass. Someone said check the number of admitted students and the number of students who took their exams. I have not checked myself.
Harris Purley may be a different kettle of fish though. OP did you check Thomas More - the accept non religious, heard good things lately.

I have my eyes on Harris Beckenham, though hoping not to have to go to Harris school.

meadowquark Thu 30-Oct-14 13:43:26

* not to have to send my DC to a Harris school.

Cabbagesaregreen Fri 31-Oct-14 08:22:14

Thanks for replies. I think dd will end up at a harris as not too much choice.

minifingers Fri 31-Oct-14 10:04:09

I dislike the Harris chain - I think they 'succeed' by excluding those unlikely to pass exams, discriminating against SN children in their admissions process, and being ridiculously target driven. I took my dd out of a Harris because of how deeply uncaring they are. As the parent of a child with SN I feel completely gutted that this academy chain now dominates school choice in some areas of SE London.

Cabbagesaregreen Sat 01-Nov-14 20:08:56

Ok. Not so great then for sen which is a shame. Thanks for more views.

MrsGuyFawkesofGisbourne Sat 01-Nov-14 20:16:29

Don't know about admissions (as I am supply teacher) but have found good support for SEN with dedicated TAs in classes I have taught.

Cabbagesaregreen Sat 01-Nov-14 20:20:54

How are they at catering for level 6s?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now