Talk

Advanced search

year 10 work experience

(13 Posts)
lilli30101968 Tue 28-Oct-14 12:11:49

year 10 school want us to find a work experience for our son not all company offer the service anybody can recommend any firms or company who can help . also can he get anything or what he want to do in the future .thx

JeanSeberg Tue 28-Oct-14 12:47:41

Do you have any friends or family members who could offer him a week's experience where they work?

What would he like to do in the future?

Spooklingbrook Tue 28-Oct-14 12:54:03

DS1 did this last year. I was lucky enough to have a family member who offered for him to do a week in his office in a marketing company.

He didn't (and still doesn't) know what he wants to do in the future, but got a good insight into the company, office life and doing the 9-5.

haggisaggis Tue 28-Oct-14 13:09:31

Just phone some local companies and ask. ds wants to be an engineer - but is also really interested in bikes. We contacted the local bike shop and he had a week's experience in the shop fixing bikes etc. The work experience does not need to relate to what they want to do after school -it is about the working experience itself - working in a team, time keeping etc.

Lottie4 Tue 28-Oct-14 14:12:35

Does he have a student reception at his school. If he genuinely can't find a place himself it might be worth having a word with them - I dropped something off for my daughter the other day and overhead them saying they have a arrangement with the local Council for those who can't find anything.

catslife Tue 28-Oct-14 16:01:05

We're finding this hard as well. Employers seem interested until they find out my child is only 15!

lilli30101968 Fri 31-Oct-14 15:55:43

he does not know what he want to be in the future I am trying to convince to do something relating to sport like physiotherapist as he likes sport but ??or to do something he will always find work wherever he goes . I have few friends but there are all in retails . I will see . thanks you all

EATmum Fri 31-Oct-14 16:09:52

OP, are you in commuting distance of London? Only I work for an osteopathic college, and we have a work experience programme for students of his age. Although below 16 they can't go into the clinic for observations, they can get involved in lots of other aspects and find out more about that kind of clinical work.
If he might be interested, please show him this link and get him to give us a call: http://www.bso.ac.uk/about-the-bso/work-experience-at-the-bso/

jellyhead Fri 31-Oct-14 16:11:30

My ds did his at Halfords
They were great. He had to have an "interview'.
Worked 9-5 every day. Smartly dressed .
He is the laziest anti sociable teen you can imagine but he did brilliantly. Boosted his self esteem loads and they were great with him.
Other boys did theirs at the leisure centre, Costa, primary schools.

Dapplegrey Fri 31-Oct-14 19:04:30

My son did work experience with bailiffs. I don't think he will get into debt after that.

Eastpoint Fri 31-Oct-14 19:10:10

My nephew went round with the bus that takes people to hospital

nokidshere Wed 05-Nov-14 10:25:14

My son did his work experience at his primary school. They take on 6 each year. He said he would like to help out with PE and Sports and he had a fantastic week. And it did him the world of good having to be smart and organised smile

lljkk Wed 05-Nov-14 10:45:43

I am foreign & even if I wasn't foreign & may be so old that there was no school-linked work experience for my age cohort in England.

How do most kids get their placements?
When is it, summer between yr10 & yr11 or during term time?
Should I phone the school to find out what to expect because it varies hugely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now