Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Education in cornwall

(14 Posts)
aussiejo90 Thu 23-Oct-14 13:29:55

Hi - can anyone give advice on secondary schools in Cornwall?

Roseland
Richard Lander
Penair

Or any others?

I have a year 7 who has high functioning ASD without a statement who has great help at the school he attends at the moment.
I'm not too worried about results as such but want a good school who have a good reputation for helping their different students needs.
Can anyone help?

Deeky Sat 25-Oct-14 11:08:44

I would love information on these schools also.
I viewed Penair and quite liked it but it's not performing as well at present as Richard Lander. Both though are quite large schools with over 1000 pupils.
I don't know much about Roseland but If you look at their recent Ofsted they are Good but are Outstanding in 2 areas. Only 600 ish pupils. I suggest looking at the Ofsted site, not necessarily for the results but for the parents feedback on things like how happy their child is, how bullying is handled etc. Having compared Richard Lander to Penair, Richard Lander comes out on top especially with 95% of parents recommending this school.
I have 6 days to make up my mind! at present I am swaying between Richard Lander and St. Michael's in Camborne because of the very small numbers.
Hope this helps a little - like I said i need help too so anyone else who maybe has kids at the various schools with opinions on them would be great.

noddyboulder Sun 26-Oct-14 12:06:16

Deeky - St Michaels? Really? I would be very nervous about the low numbers (not to mention the quality of the governors and their interesting opinions). There are many rumblings about it being unsustainable to run... If you are looking at Camborne, the Science and International Academy is doing well. Have friends whose children are very happy at Penair, but if I were to choose, it would be Richard Lander as the facilities are nearly new and it has a great reputation. Not sure about Roseland, however.

Deeky Sun 26-Oct-14 14:04:42

I have since found out some disturbing information about St.Michaels so I am down to choosing between Penair and Richard Lander.
I think Roseland is good but too far out for me.
Camborne also is a good school (my eldest 2 went there) but my eldest daughter was bullied by a teacher and it was dealt with really badly so I vowed my youngest would not go there. I have worked for them too so have a little inside information; however that was in 2011 and I have friends with children there now that are very happy.

noddyboulder Sun 26-Oct-14 18:52:29

Deeky, that sounds awful and I can totally see why Camborne isn't an option. I'm imagining you're living in the vague area (and so why you have discounted Roseland, which is in the back of beyond smile ).

Have spoken to a friend today who said there are quite a few children at RL from Redruth - the school there is improving, but still not that great - so it is doable. Watch for the sae of the intake though. They had a huge one this year and were unhappy as they were over PAN - the school is finally reaching capacity, thanks to all the building of houses in Truro. All things to consider... Good luck!

Deeky Sun 26-Oct-14 21:21:54

It was awful as I was an employee at the time and rightly or wrongly felt I should have been treated better; also my daugther's school career had been exemplary but they wouldn't back down and basically closed ranks. I've heard that the teacher in question has since been dismissed.
Thanks for your help and advice - I'm 99% sure now which one I'm going put down as first choice. Glad this is the last - I didn't feel so much responsibility with the younger 2; we lived in Camborne and it just seemed the obvious school to send them to.
Hope our discussion has helped aussiejo90 who originally started this thread.

thekitchenfairy Sun 26-Oct-14 21:30:15

RLS without a doubt. Too many worrying things over at Penair which the school does its best to keep quiet.

RLS pastoral care is, IMO, much better and school feels like a less chaotic place to be, both things which i should imagine are important for your son's wellbeing. It's approach to keeping parents informed is very helpful and its reputation for dealing with bullying and other such issues much better than Penair.

Deeky Sun 26-Oct-14 21:53:22

Ha ha (got to laugh or I'll cry) - I was going to go for Penair! RLS does make more sense as the majority of her classmates will go there and only a couple have applied to Penair.

Deeky Mon 27-Oct-14 14:02:16

Just to throw a spanner in the works, does anyone know anything about Cape Cornwall?

MathsRC Mon 27-Oct-14 15:02:33

I know a little about Cape Cornwall.

Excellent Head - school moving in the right direction.

Go in and speak to the Head - she will make time for you.

Deeky Mon 27-Oct-14 15:14:56

Thank you I have been researching it a lot today - read the heads blog etc. and the newletters and she does seem like the type of Head i'd like.
It would mean relocating but I think it would be worth it. Just not happy with the choice of local schools.

noddyboulder Thu 30-Oct-14 19:14:43

Hi Deeky - sorry, I've been away. Hope you've decided! Deadline tomorrow...

Does anyone have any feedback on Truro School, while we are at it? Dd does well and could possibly apply for 2016 intake if we win lottery or she gets a bursary (second option much more likely: )). I know plenty of people with children in state schools locally but none in private. Don't want single sex ed as I hated it when I wen through it so Truro High is out. Hope this helps aussiejo90 also...

Deeky Thu 30-Oct-14 22:31:03

Hi again noddyboulder. I have applied for one but bumped into a parent earlier I knew whose eldest is a year 7 at RL. He is getting on there really well. She had nothing but praise for the school. There was a couple of incidents of bullying on the bus in the first few weeks and it was sorted very quickly apparently . . .
I have as you quite rightly say until midnight tomorrow so have up until then to can change it if i want to.
I would love my dd to go Truro High or Truro School but she would never pass the entrance exams or 11+.
I think single sex would have been good for me - from the age of 12 i became boy obsessed and just couldn't concentrate on school work anymore!

Babsrobbo1 Sat 14-Jan-17 20:23:31

Hi I know this is an old feed.
I am moving down to cambourn Cornwall in july/August and have 2 secondary school age children one who will be year 7 and one year 9.
Have had a look at a few school and quite like the look of cambourn science academy and turo Richard landar.
I would love some information on both the
School and any advice or experiences.
I would also like to know about travel from Trevoole, just outside camborne to both schools.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now