Talk

Advanced search

Worth School - Sussex

(13 Posts)
alwaystired100 Sun 31-Aug-14 15:38:43

Can anyone out there help us. We are looking at schools in the sussex, kent and surrey areas and want to know whether Worth School is predominantly still a 'boys' school. We know that girls go there, but when we asked about ratios they sort of skipped around the question. How many girls go in at year 7 and year 9? We don't want my DD to be in the minority and be in an 'old boys' kind of atmosphere.....please help!!!!

inthename Sun 31-Aug-14 16:30:27

I know Worth, though only friends with ds have sent them there, the families with dd I know have all gone at 6th form age, having been to one of the many girls schools in the area first. Not much help I'm afraid, what other schools have you looked at (also have a look at their latest inspection as that normally list numbers for boys and girls)

alwaystired100 Sun 31-Aug-14 17:27:31

Thanks inthename. Worth's last inspection report was in 2011 and they had 445 boys and 119 girls. I know it has been a few years since then, but I'm not sure whether the ratio has evened up. We don't want my dd entering year 7 with only a handful of girls! We have looked at Ardingly and again that seems to have far more boys than girls. Lingfield Notre Dame seemed to have an equal distribution of both boys and girls. Need to visit Reigate and maybe Caterham. We liked Burgess Hill School for Girls but again really looking for a mixed education for dd and ds.....11+ is fast approaching...

goinggetstough Sun 31-Aug-14 18:03:00

Up to date figures from the ISC:
www.isc.co.uk/schools/england/sussex-west/crawley/worth-school

LIZS Sun 31-Aug-14 19:56:49

Think numbers are balancing , we know more girls than boys going in at 13+ this year.

alwaystired100 Sun 31-Aug-14 21:09:57

thanks LIZS - we are looking at 11+. how many girls are going in then? Various reports that the ratio btwn girls and boys is not good. I don't have an overly 'girly' girl but don't want her swamped with too many boys!!!!

slightlyconfused85 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:33:58

Have you looked at Hurstpierpoint school? Also extremely good and have a fairly even gender split.

4tensmum6 Sat 22-Nov-14 22:14:14

We're also wondering about the girl/boy ratio at Worth and how well they cater for girls and more 'girly' activities - textiles, home economics etc?

365sleeps Wed 17-Dec-14 10:51:45

4tensmum6 - I think I'm like you. I quite liked the school but thought it was still a boys school with a smattering of 'girlie' things thrown in. My dd still loves doing loads of 'crafty' type of things and I'd hate her to not be able to do these type of things. She likes sport but I'd still like her to do Home Ec for a few years. I loved it when I did it!

Leeds2 Wed 17-Dec-14 12:20:15

My DD goes to an all girls school, and has never done Home Economics.

365sleeps Wed 17-Dec-14 15:58:56

Leeds2 - what a shame, It's not like it used to be. A lot more practical and boys should do it as well!

SparkleZilla Wed 17-Dec-14 16:00:02

If you are close i would recommend Uckfield Community Tech College - my DS goes there and its great

Leeds2 Wed 17-Dec-14 16:10:36

It is, 365. They have a Home Ec room, but it isn't used for timetabled lessons, just after school clubs, one of which DD is doing now she is in sixth form.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now