Talk

Advanced search

Which would you choose - West Sussex, Dorset, Petersfield corner of Hampshire

(19 Posts)
Backagainitseems Sun 10-Aug-14 18:32:12

Need to get a wiggle on. Running out of time. We are searching for the Holy Grail.

We want a secondary school renowned for being great. We're in Surrey at the moment but have decided to make one final move. We will research lots more. But curious. If you were to choose from West Sussex, Dorset or Petersfield corner of Hampshire which would it be? Any names of secondaries would be fab too.

Thank you!!

sailorsgal Sun 10-Aug-14 18:45:34

Thomas Hardye is supposed to be excellent here in Dorchester and there are state grammar schools in Poole and Bournemouth.

sailorsgal Sun 10-Aug-14 18:47:47

Portsmouth grammar excellent but fee paying and possibly commutable from Petersfield.

EBearhug Sun 10-Aug-14 18:48:40

I'd go for Dorset, but that is entirely biased by having grown up there - having said that, my school friends all seem to be moving back there. I currently live in Hampshire, and there are good schools round here, too, but it's not Dorset.

JWIM Sun 10-Aug-14 21:21:40

Petersfield - East Hants area State secondary schools that are good or outstanding by Ofsted's (if that matters to you) criteria include Bohunt, The Petersfield School (TPS), Perins (Alresford), Eggars (second best state school results in Hampshire last year according to the signs at the school but wasn't the one for us) and Amery Hill (Alton). Each has their own atmosphere, some have longstanding strengths. Best to visit and see which 'float your/your DCs boat'. I have friends who have children at more than one to best suit each child's needs.

And that's before you look at the various independent and public (Win College) schools where you can pay to make a choice to suit your DCs individual needs - some single sex some co-ed - from Bedales to St Swithuns. The boys only private school options are more limited.

Agggghast Sun 10-Aug-14 21:37:29

Wouldn't consider PGS not worth a commute. Hampshire state schools tend to be excellent Bohunt seems lovely as does TPS. Bishop Luffa and ST Paul's are also excellent in W Sussex. Good luck.

ChippyMinton Sun 10-Aug-14 21:47:31

Poole for the grammars.
or
Gillingham.

culturemulcher Sun 10-Aug-14 21:51:12

We're moving for DH's work and have chosen a house specifically because it's in the Bohunt catchment. The school looks fantastic all round, I think.

culturemulcher Sun 10-Aug-14 21:53:56

Btw - Beware Bishop Luffa. It's a strict church school and requires proof that you've been to church regularly for the past 2+ years. They only take 20 non church children per year, so you'd need to live in the streets very, very close to the school to get in.

(And even though this is the school everyone seems to champion, the results aren't as good as Bohunt.)

Backagainitseems Tue 12-Aug-14 22:39:58

Thanks so much everyone. Hugely appreciate the replies. I have been on Google Earth. It's strange. All these places look quite similar. Small high streets within countryside. I think we need to visit the areas and schools and go with gut instinct. Although dh doesn't believe there is such a thing!! Thanks for the warning on Bishops Luffa. I didn't fancy the church thing and so it is now off the list. Petersfield looks tempting still and the rumours of a new sixth form between Bohunt and Petersfield. Dh says it's not near enough to the sea. But we shall see. Thanks again.

culturemulcher Wed 13-Aug-14 21:26:54

Yes - I'm looking forward to finding out more about the Bohunt/Petersfield 6th form too as it's setting out from the get-go to be results/oxbridge orientated.

BTW - competition between Bohunt/Petersfield/Midhurst Rother/Woolmer does not seem too fierce, and nearly everyone seems to get their first choice of school even if they're outside the catchment area. We've moved so that we're in the Bohunt catchment, but we'll be keeping a close eye on Petersfield and Rother in the 2 years before DD go.

culturemulcher Wed 13-Aug-14 22:20:12

You've probably found it already - but I found RM School Finder invaluable for comparing school results, distances, etc.

I'll stop banging this drum in a minute - but you were looking for 'a secondary school renowned for being great' - Bohunt has just won the TES award for best Secondary School of the year and also best School of the Year.

Backagainitseems Wed 13-Aug-14 22:48:51

Oh, thanks for those great tips. I have been looking for some comparison tool for ages!!! Thank you!!

smellylittleorange Wed 13-Aug-14 23:19:24

20 mins down the A3 to the sea ! Lovely sailing club at Sandy Point Hayling Island if that is his thing. There is also Chichester free school and Boys and Girls school which are supposed to be rapidly improving - they do have to battle against bad rep but facilities are good. Friend has daughter at TPS enjoys it, getting on well but some issues about taking action on bullying.

fullcircleagain Fri 14-Nov-14 09:43:30

Bump please.

TalkinPeace Fri 14-Nov-14 11:03:10

I was working in Petersfield earlier this week.
Lovely town, excellent links, lovely countryside, fab schools - access to fab 6th form

Do not go too far south though as the backwash from poor Pompey schools fills the Horndean area up

Dorset : wonderful area but full of grockles in summer
then again a friend is a teacher at Bridport school and LOVES it

I also work in Liphook sometimes : Bohunt is a fab school
or Perins in Alresford - with Alton College near by for 6th

PS DD attended a Hampshire Comp - 24% of the school GCSE grades were A or A* (she got solid) so do not stress about high achievers

smellylittleorange Fri 14-Nov-14 14:41:35

Just jumping on to find out if anyone knows anymore news re; Bohunt /TPS sixth form?? Sorry OP.

As an aside I do see Hampshire Education Authority as very well managed - West Sussex LA have been unofficially accused as literally forcing schools to academization (sp- real word?) by the back door as it were.

TalkinPeace Fri 14-Nov-14 17:10:42

Bohunt and Petersfield are both Academies - along with 2/3 of secondary schools in the UK
Gove emasculated all the LEAs together.
The great "we'll all get 6th form" plan kinda died a death when Symonds, Barton and Farnborough dug their heels in
Good thing too

fullcircleagain Fri 14-Nov-14 17:12:27

Thanks for taking the time to post. I've started a new thread as we are now making a final choice between Petersfield and Christchurch/Southbourne.

It's pretty equal at the moment. Will go and have a look at Petersfield. Apparently the plans for the sixth form with TPS have been stopped but they still want to incorporate a sixth form somehow. Sussex has been ruled out now. So I guess that means we are making progress. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now