Talk

Advanced search

Stationery needed

(25 Posts)
HouseofEliot Thu 07-Aug-14 13:25:27

Our secondary school still haven't sent us any information. What will Dd need? We have pens, pencils, pencil crayons, ruler, rubber, sharpener, calculator, compass, tippex, glue stick. Is that all she will need?

Thanks

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 07-Aug-14 13:26:50

Have you got a scientific calculator?

HouseofEliot Thu 07-Aug-14 13:29:44

Yes I have got her a scientific one.

Thanks

OnGoldenPond Thu 07-Aug-14 13:29:58

Ring the school! There will be a skeleton staff in the office over the break and they will get back to you.

Honestly, the requirements are so different in different schools you could waste a lot of money if you don't check.

And at the same time ask where all the starters information has got to - there is more than stationery that you need to think about.

HouseofEliot Thu 07-Aug-14 13:32:08

We have been promised the information for months. I have been told so many times it has been sent out. It's not the school we wanted so it's making it more difficult.

Hulababy Thu 07-Aug-14 13:40:04

The official list we were sent when DD started secondary last year is this. Some are duplicated such as eraser, sharpener and ruler - she used same for each.

General:
Pencil case
Pencils
Coloured pencils
Eraser
Ink pen and cartridges or roller ball pen - DD opted for normal pens
Scissors
Glue stick
A4 wallet - DD has one of these for each subject; very useful and used weekly
A4 ring binder - not really used

For art:
Set of drawing pencils - HB, 2B, 4B
Set of coloured pencils
Eraser
Pencil sharpener
Black biro
Black water soluble fine line pen
Ruler

For maths:
Scientific calculator
Ruler
Protractor
Pair of compasses
Set square - never used!

For languages:
Ear phones - used very week

Also an English dictionary

HouseofEliot Thu 07-Aug-14 13:47:06

Thanks that's great.

Leeds2 Thu 07-Aug-14 17:25:32

My DD also had to provide an atlas, and Spanish and German dictionaries.

I think your DD has enough for the first day, and she will be able to tell you soon enough if she needs anything else.

HouseofEliot Thu 07-Aug-14 17:27:58

Thanks.

mummytime Thu 07-Aug-14 17:56:26

At my DCs school - you don't need ring binders. A wallet isn't needed but can be useful. Art supplies are better bought after you start, as they sell them at near cost price from school (much cheaper than WHSMiths). Calculator is also often better to wait to get the right one. Oh and Tippex is banned!

I would just get: pens, pencils, maybe a Maths set, lots of rubbers, rulers, sharpeners, glue sticks, a few colour pencils.

Ear phones are used much later on in school, but not allowed in year 7 to 9.

Later on they may be asked to buy Dictionaries or special paper (art) or folders for art.

babasheep Thu 07-Aug-14 20:46:41

Does your school provide dairies? My dd has to buy one from school.

LynetteScavo Thu 07-Aug-14 21:23:10

Ds1 who is able maths says he didn't need a scientific calculator in y7. I'll probably get ds2 a cheap one for September as he loses everything. I don't remember ever using a scientific calculator!

HouseofEliot Thu 07-Aug-14 21:39:36

Thanks I tried ringing today and got told it is being sent out soon. I have been told this since March 3rd. The uniform shop told us what we needed not the school.

I still have my scientific calculator from school that I used. I remember using it quite a lot.

I don't know about the diary.

I still have my dictionaries from school too.

We have had no information only a bit about the fingerprint to buy school meals.

We met the tutor who is brand new to the school and didn't speak brilliant English. She couldn't answer any questions we had.

babasheep Thu 07-Aug-14 22:35:36

Oh as someone mentioned dictionaries may I ask if anyone knows if the web translators any good for Spanish beginners or any languages learners?

AugustRose Thu 07-Aug-14 22:58:29

We bought most of the things mentioned above (except earphones and binders, didn't need those) and DD was also provided with a school planner/diary which is very useful.

But to be honest by the end of the second term she was taking a pen/pencil/ruler/rubber in her blazer pocket, as far as I know has never needed the dictionary/thesarus as these are already in school. The only thing she has regularly in her bag is the scientific calculator but I don't know how often these use it - not much in Y7. She was also given an A4 plastic wallet for keeping letters/homework sheets in.

inthename Fri 08-Aug-14 18:23:41

check the tippex, lots of schools don't allow correction fluid or those erasable pens either

Coolas Sun 10-Aug-14 12:07:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hakluyt Sun 10-Aug-14 12:12:32

The most useful thing for both mine was a strong plastic wallet. There are a lot of bits of paper going to and from school, and if they aren't put in something they get scrumpled under muddy trainers.

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 10-Aug-14 12:13:22

Ours aren't allowed tippex.
The only things missing from your list are a protractor and a calculator. The school may be particular about which model of calculator they want you to buy.

Hakluyt Sun 10-Aug-14 12:14:50

At ds's school they have to be able to produce a pen, a pencil, a ruler and their planner at any point during the day if challenged and if they can't they get a mark on their uniform card.

snumpy Tue 12-Aug-14 17:11:16

According to ds's school he needs for his first day

Bag
Pen
Pencil
Ruler
Dinner Money

partialderivative Wed 13-Aug-14 09:42:00

I hope you are looking upon this as a 'fun' thing to do, rather than a 'must' do before term starts.

The bulk of what has been mentioned above will be used very rarely. Pen, pencil, ruler and eraser will cover over 95% of stationery needs.

But then I love stationery, so our dds will be equipped with all sorts of nonsense come September

DaisyFlowerChain Wed 13-Aug-14 09:55:09

We had a list given to us on the induction evening alongside the huge uniform list. They have to have pens, pencils, coloured pencils as a bare minimum. There was also a specific maths set, scientific calculator and dictionary they require but the school sells them as a bundle for convenience.

No tipped allowed, it's banned in many schools.

I have gone for the minimum for school as per the list and then bought lots of extras for home for homework or so that if he does need anything else it's likely we have it already.

Rita215 Wed 12-Oct-16 07:09:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SoupDragon Wed 12-Oct-16 07:11:54

ZOMBIE THREAD BUMPED BY SPAMMER!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now