Talk

Advanced search

Insight into woldingham/donottar - lingfield ND/hazelwood

(5 Posts)
dombliss Thu 27-Mar-14 12:16:23

Hi, can anyone help me with the above? all look great but wondering if anyone has had any major issues or what reputation do they have locally? looking at girls for DD and prep for DS (8). We are looking for good 'all round' schools with good facilities, nurturing environment and strong communication with the parents. DS is very sporty , social and active but not good under academic pressure and DD is creative and sensitive and kind. Not good with a highly competitive environment hmm. Not looking to board either but GCSE / A level weekly boarding could be an option later.

1stMrsF Thu 27-Mar-14 12:34:16

I have two girls in reception at Hazelwood. I rate it highly for having a family community feel and caring environment. Facilities are good and on a beautiful rural site. Parent communication is good. It is non selective but appears to provide opportunities for talented children to reach their potential and their track record with school places/scholarships obtained at 11+ and 13+ is impressive. A much higher proportion of children have stayed to 13 in recent years, which I think is a reflection of parent satisfaction.

Dunottar sounds like a good fit for your DD but will be co-ed from September, so if you definitely want girls only, Woldingham is about your only option locally. Woldingham again is on a beautiful site but I've not specifically seen the facilities. They do offer flexi boarding and this seems to have become very popular in the last couple of years.

dombliss Wed 02-Apr-14 13:48:31

thanks a lot 1stMrsF. I am def tending towards Hazelwood. It had a lovely feel and the head was impressive. Saw Hawthorns school yesterday which also seemed great.

ChocolateWombat Wed 02-Apr-14 13:54:11

Out of interest, how did you think The Hawthorns compared to Hazelwood? I've always thought they seem pretty similar.

Bearleigh Fri 04-Apr-14 18:34:28

My son was at the Hawthorns, leaving last year, and loved it. They really seem to bring out the best in the children, whether sporty or anti-sport, academic or not: they make sure there was something for everyone. They also seem to prepare them very well for senior school, from the comments we have had from his current teachers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now