Talk

Advanced search

Y7/8: Can someone direct me to a list of level 5,6,7 'connectives' in English, please?

(10 Posts)
Tansie Tue 25-Mar-14 09:52:54

By this I mean something like what I saw on a wall in an English classroom during parents evening where there were 3 'speech bubbles' on the wall, one with the sort of 'connectives/sentence starters' a level 5 achiever might be expected to us, through to one with 'level 7+' words. The first contained words like 'Because...; As a result; Meanwhile...', the level 7 had 'Notwithstanding..' and so forth.

I would have felt like a First Prize Dill/Tiger Mom writing them down on the night but DS2 has told me he'd like something similar at home to glance at. He doesn't use that classroom much and isn't very 'organised'!

Any ideas?

TIA

Tansie Tue 25-Mar-14 16:14:15

Bump, notwithstanding? wink

Tansie Tue 25-Mar-14 17:39:57

Furthermore, bump? grin

Tansie Tue 25-Mar-14 18:34:36

Moreover?... shock

Day1987 Tue 25-Mar-14 19:41:06

Hi,
I have a PDF of connectives (not my own resource). They are not levelled but there are a lot of them!

I've got it as a pdf if you would like me to send it to you?

fourcorneredcircle Tue 25-Mar-14 19:42:26

You could ask your DS to note them down...

HmmAnOxfordComma Tue 25-Mar-14 19:44:21

Tbh, I'd just work on making sure all of those are understood and can be used where appropriate, and not worry about what level they are.

Make sure he reads loads and he will naturally write at a higher and higher standard.

Nc levels go hang!

Clavinova Wed 26-Mar-14 09:52:06

Try the teachers' website/forum TES connect and search under teaching resources - you'll probably have to register but that's easy enough.

Minime85 Wed 26-Mar-14 11:14:21

its about variety and using them well too. connectives aren't linked to levels. a lot of kids who try and use things like notwithstanding often get it slightly wrong so using fancy ones hinders them. its things like: whilst, however, in addition, similarly, in contrast, as well as, moreover, in conclusion etc. but also about moving them around the sentence so not always having them at the start and a more advanced writer would be using adverbs and adverb phrases to link and start sentences too: so after some consideration..., suddenly as I opened..., carefully I decided...

Tansie Thu 27-Mar-14 21:44:31

The ones I saw were only divided into levels to tell the NC Govian state school DC that if they use 'this' level connective, it's considered worthy of a 5, 'that' one is worthy of a 6 etc etc. i.e. use 'moreover if you can, rather than 'then'...

Day1987 yes please!

DS2 doesn't read loads and cannot be persuaded to. He'll be wringing a C out of his GCSE! No, tbf, he actually just needs 'reminding' that words like 'moreover' exist when he'll, lazily, slap in a 'then'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now