Talk

Advanced search

2 to 5 schooling as punishment

(13 Posts)
Selfyselfy Sat 22-Mar-14 16:25:19

My 16 year old lad has been suspended from normal school hours as punishment. He is ADHD and Autistic in main stream school, we have recently seen his psychologist who raised his medication, he has been a lot better in lessons achieving a double A star in cookery but during breaks can't control his behaviour especially when he's with his mates.
He now has to attend school from 2 - 5 pm only where he sits with an external teacher.
Has anyone else experienced this and can help .

creamteas Sat 22-Mar-14 18:58:54

This sounds like an illegal exclusion to me.

Contact IPSEA for help

Hup Sat 22-Mar-14 19:10:12

Yes this does happen, where a child is unable to be trusted out of lessons. Normally it is an interim move, which then changes to allow more integration.

fourcorneredcircle Sat 22-Mar-14 19:49:18

At one school I worked at the behaviour for learning code had this as one of the consequences for either persistant poor behaviour when the usual route of consequences detentions and isolation had not worked or as a consequence of serious contravention to school rules (two memorable examples were a student who after what had started as some some messing around moved onto pushing ended in an assault and a student that brought a firework in to school and almost lit it in the toilets). It is a reasonable consequence if the alternative is suspension at home - at least the child is in school either doing set work or in some sort of 'building bridges' workshop. Has your son seriously contravened the accepted rules regarding behaviour?

steview Sat 22-Mar-14 19:54:26

I obviously don't know the circumstances surrounding your son so my points here are more general than specific but may be of some assistance.

Schools obviously need to consider the rights of all students and sometimes the behaviours of some are detrimental to the progress of others.

Sometimes these behaviours are caused by difficulties that the student has, other times they are caused by the student just being a naughty individual.

Whichever of these it is the impact on other students can be the same.

Where it is just a very naughty student then the school can obviously go through the sanctions etc. ultimately leading to permanent exclusion of necessary.

Where it is of no fault of the student, medical or whatever, it's obviously much much more complex - the school need to ensure that the student is supported in every possible way to be in lessons and learning but, also, allowing other students to learn.

If it isn't possible then I have seen schools move to an adjusted timetable - such as mornings only or afternoons only with a focus on particular subjects in that time.

When I've seen this it has always been part of a plan agreed fully with parents - either, as Hup said, an interim programme to try and get things back on track or a permanent programme to get through to the end of school if the student is near the end of Year 11.

Neither of these approaches seem to match the OP's post which concerns me - in such a complex case I would expect the parents to be an integral part of the process.

Selfyselfy Sun 23-Mar-14 13:45:04

Thanks for the comments, we were only informed on Friday afternoon and the 2 to 5 starts tomorrow, it's not something we have agreed on but pushed into by the school, I have emailed the teacher concerned and await his comments, after that t
It's the education authority.
Many thanks

intheenddotcom Sun 23-Mar-14 15:37:08

Sounds like a modified form of internal seclusion, usually used when the child's behaviour is to the detriment of the rest of the class or the child cannot cope in mainstream lessons for a short period of time. I've heard of it being used for break/lunch behaviour but usually during normal school hours.

I would first check that their only concern is break/lunches. If this is the problem it would be better all round for your son to be kept in a break/lunch and supervised but go to normal lessons.

tethersend Sun 23-Mar-14 15:53:11

If your son is in Y11, then this is an illegal exclusion and must be stopped immediately.

Your son, if in Y11 is entitled to 25 hours per week of education, regardless of his behaviour. If the school feel unable to provide this, they must call an emergency annual review and notify the LA that they can no longer meet his needs.

Part time timetables are only legal if used as part of a reintegration plan, and even then they should be used for a short time only. Whilst they are in place, the school must put other provision in place for the remaining hours.

Call the LA SEN team and raise hell.

tethersend Sun 23-Mar-14 15:53:55

The LA are paying the school for 25 hours of education a week. Not 15.

tethersend Sun 23-Mar-14 15:57:41

I should add, the school has no grounds to justify a part-time timetable.

tethersend Sun 23-Mar-14 16:06:06

I am also assuming that he has a statement?

School can exclude him over lunch, but I would expect the school to have requested additional funding for 1:1 support at break times before any exclusion was considered.

tethersend Sun 23-Mar-14 16:07:32

guidance here

tethersend Sun 23-Mar-14 16:17:54

support here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now