Talk

Advanced search

Options. Please help!

(20 Posts)
Ludoole Sat 22-Mar-14 01:08:33

My son is currently choosing his options.
He is set on a career in science (already been told he will be doing the triple award).
He's annoyed that he has to choose between history and geography as he wanted to do both.
Other than the IT option, none of the other options appeal to him! He considers them as "faffy" subjects....

He doesn't think he will get a good enough grade for French so wants to drop that (although im not sure that's a good idea...)

Its doing both our heads in!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what subjects will most benefit a science career??

AntiJamDidi Sat 22-Mar-14 01:17:46

Why can't he do both History and Geography? Most schools allow you to do both afaik, is it a matter of option blocks not fitting? I'd be advising him to keep up with the French if he's capable of it (roughly a level 5b in year 9 is considered good enough to be capable of a higher grade at GCSE in my school)

How many more choices does he have to take? What about Electronics? That's very academic and has a lot of cross over with Physics.

Ludoole Sat 22-Mar-14 01:24:48

Anti- Its either history OR geography at my sons school confused.
What annoys him is there is 3 different performing arts options and yet he cant do both the humanity subjects he loves!
He has NO interest in French at all, hes high achieving in maths and sciences but no other real interest in anything else.

Its so hard to choose when the option blocks seem so limited!

Carmen10 Sat 22-Mar-14 01:34:14

Good IT skills are useful for lots of careers now. Other than maths, English and the three sciences I'm not sure whether any subjects are more relevant than others.

If he's really set on doing history and geography then maybe he could ask to do fewer subjects at school and study history in his own time at home?

Ludoole Sat 22-Mar-14 01:46:44

Carmen- I agree with what you say about the relevance of other subjects. Its just annoying that he has to choose between subjects he likes in one option block and then spend 2 years studying subjects that have no relevance to the area he wants to work in.

Carmen10 Sat 22-Mar-14 02:06:00

I agree! I understand why some schools need to have the block system, but it does seem v. unfair.

AntiJamDidi Sat 22-Mar-14 12:40:26

I understand the block system too, but it seems very unfair that they don't have either History or Geography in another option block as well, they surely have more than one class of each at GCSE assuming it's a reasonably sized school.

My dd had a similar issue with the option blocks at her school but she was at least allowed the choice of doing both humanities subjects.

Do they offer Computing Science or just ICT? If he's sciency then Computing would be a better option than ICT but not all schools offer it yet because it's fairly new as a GCSE subject. And pick the subjects he hates least for however many subjects he has left to choose.

OR go into school and kick up a stink about not being able to take both humanities. You might not be able to get it changed for this year but it might make them think more carefully about their option blocks for next year. This would be what I would do much to dd's embarrassment

MillyMollyMama Sun 23-Mar-14 00:37:12

A broad range of subjects have a relevance to all young people between the ages of 14 and 16. He is not yet training for a career in "science". He will start that at A level. Try and encourage him to do well in all his GCSEs and see the relevance of all subjects. Obviously "faffy" ones like French are a bit too hard maybe?

NoIdeasForUsername Sun 23-Mar-14 02:24:46

That's really odd for a school to have an either/or option, as they go together so well and for certain A-Levels (and careers) having History and Geography will be very beneficial. DS is lucky enough to be able to do both, DD is also doing both.

Is it possible for him to attempt to study it at home?

sashh Sun 23-Mar-14 09:01:07

Scientists publish in many languages, if he is capable in French then it can be an advantage.

I'd tend to say go for History as it is (was, if I'm wrong I appologise) an essay subject and the ability to put an argument down on paper is relevant to science and science careers.

nostress Sun 23-Mar-14 13:21:01

Geography and chemistry overlap in the Earth science aspects (less revision ;) ).

My son's girlfriend is doing history GCSE and its all about the history of medicine! Nothing on World wars etc.

If he's doing 3 sciences that's all he needs really and just choose the one he is most interested in.

intheenddotcom Sun 23-Mar-14 15:40:30

Both history and geography are essay subjects but geography is more scientific and can be very useful depending on what career he is thinking of afterwards. I would suggest geography in school (complex processes that really need a teacher to explain + fieldwork) and ask the school if he can take one less subject and study history in that gap by himself. He may find that the history teacher will offer to help (or you could get a tutor).

Ludoole Sun 23-Mar-14 23:36:30

Thanks for the replies.

He is currently considering history, French, IT and English lit from the 4 option blocks. None of which are "faffy" (I realise I generalised in original post when I saw the number of performing arts/media study type options blush. I also realise that just because they are not my sons cup of tea there are plenty of students who will appreciate these subjects.

Alongside the compulsory subjects, I think my son is considering a decent mix of subjects.
Thanks again.

AntiJamDidi Sun 23-Mar-14 23:42:59

That sounds like a good mix to me. I'm glad he's decided on a mix he's happy with.

linney Sun 23-Mar-14 23:43:09

How are there 3 different performing arts options?

Ludoole Sun 23-Mar-14 23:47:13

Linney They have a musical theatre option, an acting option and a dance option.

pointythings Mon 24-Mar-14 21:38:05

DD1 has the history/geography quandary at her school (officially)
, however the options form makes it clear that there is flexibility and she is by no means the only one wanting to do history, geography, triple science and a MFL. It's a big school, so it's easier for them to accommodate slightly quirky choices.

linney Mon 24-Mar-14 21:43:15

Ds has to choose between history or geography for his core subjects, but he then has to choose one from a list of other GCSEs- which includes geography.

linney Mon 24-Mar-14 21:44:44

"Linney They have a musical theatre option, an acting option and a dance option."

But presumably that's within one Performing Arts GCSE? Not 3 separate ones?

Ludoole Mon 24-Mar-14 23:35:41

Linney It is for 3 separate ones!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now