Talk

Advanced search

AQA GCSE ENGLISH...HELP

(11 Posts)
Doobydoo Fri 21-Mar-14 20:57:16

I admit am utterly clueless/confused etc re ds1 and exams.Seem all over the place.Please could someone explain what the following means.
Discovered piece of paper in bottom of rucksack!...ds is out.
Exams....stating AQA GCSE/B ENG LANG UNIT 2 SPEAKING AND LISTENING.
ENGLANG UNIT 3
ENG1H:ENG/ENGLANG UNIT 1 TIERH.
He only started year 10 in sept.
Thank you in advance.

LIZS Fri 21-Mar-14 21:04:52

Are you sure he is taking any exams this year ? S & L was being phased out. Tier H would presumably be Higher ie he can achieve up to a A* grade whereas Foundation level is up to C grade max.

Doobydoo Fri 21-Mar-14 21:10:02

Yes tis a form with candidate number etc,

Doobydoo Fri 21-Mar-14 21:13:47

...and have noideawhat S and L is/was.I am v confused.

LIZS Fri 21-Mar-14 21:17:46

S and L = Speaking and Listening ! Relatively few take this now. Could it be coursework/controlled assessments(CA) rather than exams. ds did a number of CA during year10 but is taking the GCSE exams in year 11.

Doobydoo Fri 21-Mar-14 21:22:34

Sorry...am v dense! How doI know if controlled...does not state on form?
Says AQA then components and candidate number.And says exam.and admission number etc.He has done controlled assessments I think...how do they differ?Thanks for taking the time to explain.

LIZS Fri 21-Mar-14 21:28:10

Controlled assessments are specific tasks done to time under supervised conditions in school. I wonder if that is what is meant by Units. Can you google AQA English Language to see what corresponds.

Doobydoo Fri 21-Mar-14 21:30:06

Have googled madly...will do so in a more controlled manner!.
To my eyes looks like exam though.

LIZS Fri 21-Mar-14 21:30:24

www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/gcse/english-language-4705/subject-content

does this help ?

Doobydoo Fri 21-Mar-14 21:38:38

Thanks. As expected ds home and being difficult.Think tis exam.Thanks for your help...appreciate it.x

Angellinaballerina Sun 23-Mar-14 19:01:32

The speaking and listening marks don't count towards the final GCSE grade any more. Students still have to do the assessments and a mark out of 5 for each one is recorded on the front of the GCSE certificate instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now