Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on woodhouse grove giggles wick, ackworth and bootham

(15 Posts)
Parsley1234 Fri 21-Mar-14 19:56:11

Ds 10 very sporty average academically and great can do attitude keen on flexi boarding looking for school in Yorkshire for year 9 start. Please can anyone give any response to above schools

umbrellahead Fri 21-Mar-14 23:16:18

Sorry I'm not sure about Woodhouse but would say out of the other three Giggleswick is the most sporty. Bootham, and possibly Ackworth, don't play rugby is that is your son's sport. Despite that, Bootham would be my pick out of those mentioned by a country mile. As a teenager city life is infinitely better than being out in the sticks all week!

Parsley1234 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:25:15

Hello umbrella sons sport football tennis swimming hockey not rugby. I know the fealing of being in a town Would be better for him but I will be living in Wakefield and father living in London I'm going to see them all any other thoughts anyone ?

meditrina Sat 22-Mar-14 13:41:03

Any particular reason why St Peter's isn't on your list? It's the obvious choice for sports.

Parsley1234 Sat 22-Mar-14 18:45:37

I was looking towards Wakefield due to York being that further however st peters looks great another one to visit thank you

NoodieRoodie Sat 22-Mar-14 19:00:39

I agree with umbrella that Gigg is very sporty but they're very much full boarding, it's something that they're very keen on. Once you're there you only come home for exeats, one of the perks of sixth form is that you get an extra home weekend every term but lower down the school they're very strict. They're really keen on parents popping in whenever they fancy but it'd be at least a 4 hour round trip from Wakefield so not very poppable!!

Parsley1234 Sat 22-Mar-14 19:44:43

Not very poppable atall hence why looking Wakefield south. It is a dilemma still got a few years and may choose to stay south but Wd prefer flexi boarding option due to only gregarious child !

Hobnobissupersweet Sun 23-Mar-14 20:49:57

Def look at St Pete's, v. Good school.
I know received wisdom is that Boothams's is great, but my only knowledge of it is 2 friends who removed their dc due to bullying, and a relative whose dc are brill ther but bullying is a major problem for one of their dc and it is not being dealt with well by the school ( IMO))
But seriously if you are in wakey and dc very sporty why not a day school ie QEGS, would tick all your boxes except boarding.

Hobnobissupersweet Sun 23-Mar-14 20:50:33

Brill ther. Tsk, I can type
Still there!

laceoles Mon 24-Mar-14 11:08:32

For all it's worth, my two sons were day students at Bootham from age 11 to 18, and like you, we looked into all of the independent (and many state) schools locally before making our decision. All I can say is they had a wonderful time, made a lot of friends, achieved excellent grades and have become caring, thoughtful members of society.

Bootham is indeed an oddity. It seems relaxed when you look around it, no uniform to speak of, disorganised, lots of noise. But when you are a parent and see the school every day, you realise that there's something going on underneath. They don't need a uniform to bring them together or to enforce a discipline. If you sit and watch how they interact, they seem to have a mutual respect between themselves, and between themselves and the teachers. Everyone is polite. Everyone is happy. They actually seem to care for each other. From this respect comes results, because everyone is encouraged, no one is made to feel out of place. Everyone has a talent. So the students seem to achieve amazing things, whatever it is they're good at, hence I guess the high league table results. But results oddly seem almost secondary to the fact that these are children who are learning life skills as well.

I have since met the new head, Jonathan Taylor, and he is even more approachable than the previous head. The Quaker ethos is not shoved in your face - all it seems to do is instill a mutual respect and acceptance amongst everyone, so that can't be a bad idea for society as a whole! There is a daily 9am meeting, but everyone just sits in silence for 15 minutes and contemplates what's important to them. Nothing religious.

My next door neighbour's boy went to St Peter's at the same time and although he did very well academically, he has since told me that it was strict and not always friendly. However, it's just another personal opinion!

You indeed have a big decision to make. But, as someone who has been through the process, personally, I think the school is wonderful and the staff are amazing. I have always wished I could have gone there myself! As a product of an old fashioned, strict, grammar school, I never enjoyed my time at school, and I have always felt I could have learnt more if I had only felt motivated and happier. Hence the choice of Bootham.

As a final aside, I always remember that if I ever visited Bootham at lunchtime, I would be welcome to sit amongst them and have my lunch there too, and I would notice that the staff and students eat together, side by side, OUT OF CHOICE. That tells you everything.

Bunbaker Mon 24-Mar-14 11:28:48

Have you looked at Fulneck?

Parsley1234 Mon 24-Mar-14 13:31:43

Thank you sooooo much to everyone who has responded ! So kind I'm going to see wood house grove next week it's tricky as where ds is now his school ends at 13 and am keen for him to finish there so he will be starting at 13 compounded by easy access needs to be considered for London access to his dad big thoughts

umbrellahead Mon 24-Mar-14 19:01:26

In terms of ease starting at 13 as well as access to London I think York would be your best bet if it is close enough for your son to come home at weekends easily

Stressedbutblessed Tue 25-Mar-14 05:08:56

Have friends at Ampleforth - I realize you haven't asked for this school but do have a look. Sporting/ extra curricular excellent and academically seem suited to students who like a balance

Dreamgirls234 Sat 05-Apr-14 15:17:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now