Talk

Advanced search

Scottish National 4s/5s and Highers question

(3 Posts)
Kinraddie Fri 21-Mar-14 19:53:39

Does anyone know if a child can choose to take a Higher subject in 5th year, without having sat/done the National 5 coursework or exam? My child is fairly fluent in Spanish and I don't want him to 'waste' 2 years learning the basics in 3rd and 4th year, when I'm confident he could sit the higher in 5th year. Any help would be appreciated.

starving Sat 22-Mar-14 13:26:26

You need to speak to your school about this. Basically it is possible (my dd is doing a higher this year and she is new to the subject), but it is up to the school. It may also be possible to do it at a local college if the school are unable to support it, sometimes daytime study or evening class.

Fuctifano Sun 23-Mar-14 19:58:23

Yep, "crash" Highers have always been permissible. The new system allows for this- a case like this is exactly the type of example I would have cited. Though they might prefer he pick it back up in S6 to allow progression and continuity in subjects where your DS requires more taught input. Keep in mind that the Higher as he/you know it may be no more - depending on the decisions made by your LA and school.

Also the possible reduction in the number of Nat 5's offered means that many pupils will select subjects at Higher (particularly in S6) that they haven't previously. 3 sciences in particular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now