Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know about GCSE Humanities?

(12 Posts)
Martorana Wed 19-Mar-14 18:37:54

I didn't know it existed til an hour ago. It looks interesting if a bit "bitty". Anyone?

ThreeBeeOneGee Wed 19-Mar-14 18:46:09

I know nothing about it, but I imagine it has the same amount of intellectual rigour as a single GCSE Science.
Perhaps they'll introduce GCSE MFL as an option; the curriculum could include a smattering of French, German & Spanish.

<Sorry if I sound a bit less peace & love than usual. I'm having a mildly crappy day.>

intheenddotcom Wed 19-Mar-14 18:50:59

Not considered as 'academic' as separate humanities.

Martorana Wed 19-Mar-14 20:14:05

It's an option- he's got his choice down to Media Studies or Humanities. Already doing History and RE- so Humanities might just be mor of the same. But he thinks the will be lots of like minded people in Humanities who like talking about stuff.

HmmAnOxfordComma Wed 19-Mar-14 20:32:54

Had a quick look.

If he's already doing RS and History, I think I'd veer towards Media Studies. It can be quite rigorous and requires decent comprehension and analytic skills. Good complement to English.

Martorana Wed 19-Mar-14 20:38:10

Thank you- that's what I think too. And it also goes with the Performing Arts BTec. OK decision made!

HmmAnOxfordComma Wed 19-Mar-14 20:43:22

:-)

I love ThreeBee's suggestion of a generic MFL qualification...in fact, am amazed it doesn't already exist.

Martorana, isn't your ds yr 8 like mine? Stop freaking me out talking about options! Ds will choose his next year. (Although I don't think there'll be much debate: triple science and French compulsory. He wants art and history and then might go with RS or a free period if we can wangle it!)

fourcorneredcircle Wed 19-Mar-14 20:43:33

I did humanities way back when - I really enjoyed it because it gave me a basic understanding of social history, politics and UK/European/World history. I would have taken history but the multiple languages I wanted to study made my options limited to Humanities or Child Care. Whilst I'd still advocate it as a great choice I don't think it's a good pair with History - too little variety and potentially limiting for future courses etc. Unless your child is particularly academic (A* - A) media studies would make better sense. Be warned though that many C/D grade students take it as they see it as something easy - which can mean that stronger students can be left to their own devices too much.

Martorana Wed 19-Mar-14 20:49:43

I know- it seems insane choosing options in year 8! But I can see how it might work for a school like ds's- the vast majority of kids are middle to low ability, and a 3 year lead in to GCSEs, particularly the new exam based ones, will give them much more time to master skills and techniques.

HmmAnOxfordComma Wed 19-Mar-14 20:50:15

I imagine a generic Humanities GCSE would attract a reasonably in academic cohort, though.

Whereas Media Studies is very, very popular at the grammar I used to work at with the very studious but quite arty and opinionated kids.

HmmAnOxfordComma Wed 19-Mar-14 20:56:10

Unacademic...

HmmAnOxfordComma Wed 19-Mar-14 20:58:42

Yes I can see that.

Not sure how the current year 7s will fare under a three year KS4 if the syllabuses for all the other new GCSEs have barely been published. At least ours only have the new 'harder' core subjects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now