Talk

Advanced search

Oxford schools please for drama keen girl.

(12 Posts)
1805 Tue 18-Mar-14 18:42:50

DD year 4 and we need to start thinking about senior schools. Not particulary academic, but doing fairly well. Have been advised Headington, Our Lady's, Cokethorpe (too far) by school.
Which school has the most opportunities for the performing arts in general? DD likes music, singing and drama. Enjoys sport but not 'A' team.
Open to state suggestions too, but know it's hard to get in anywhere out of catchment round here.
I know we will go and look round, but insider info would be very gratefully received….

AtiaoftheJulii Tue 18-Mar-14 22:44:51

Cherwell school sounds like it has great music and drama.

AtiaoftheJulii Tue 18-Mar-14 22:44:59

Cherwell school sounds like it has great music and drama.

ZeroSomeGameThingy Tue 18-Mar-14 22:51:23

Surely this would be the obvious choice for a drama enthusiast?

ZeroSomeGameThingy Tue 18-Mar-14 22:53:31

.....But I realise you must be thinking of 11+ not 13?

1805 Tue 18-Mar-14 22:58:39

OF course - St Edwards, forgot about there. Not sure where she'd go for years 7 and 8???
We're out of catchment for Cherwell.

roguedad Wed 19-Mar-14 19:52:33

I'd have a look round Cokethorpe with your DD's profile. It really is very good for performing arts and sports. There is a network of buses to get there as well, even though you think it is a bit far away. You could even do a couple of years in the Junior School - it has an outstanding music and drama teacher who has been great with my DS. Lovely grounds and atmosphere too.

AppleSnow Wed 19-Mar-14 20:04:03

St Helen and St Katharine in Abingdon - strong drama with joint productions with Abingdon boys, excellent music department, and good sport. Bus service from Oxford.

Headington are also strong on drama.

1805 Wed 19-Mar-14 20:14:00

Apple - dd not academic enough for St Helens according to current school. Possible, on a good day, but not a dead cert.

roguedad - ok, I'll come clean, have personal reasons to not go to Cokethoirpe. sad

longtallsally2 Wed 19-Mar-14 20:20:46

Many do Y7 and Y8 at the Dragon School, before going onto St Edwards, or there is always Summerfields . . .

1805 Wed 19-Mar-14 21:12:21

isn't summer fields only boys??

StanHouseMuir Thu 20-Mar-14 13:14:54

Lots of drama and music going on at Headington. They have a great new(ish) music block, their own theatre and a new sports centre opening in 18 months. Intake is fairly broad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now