Talk

Advanced search

GCSE OCR Additional Science 21st Century syllabus.

(7 Posts)
Kez100 Tue 18-Mar-14 17:20:20

OK, my DS is sitting this in the summer. B4,5,6 C4,5,6 and P4,5,6.

The study pace has been poor and his teacher has now gone on long term sick. He may have a decent supply teacher but he cannot take that chance. He feels he needs to really study the 5s and 6s himself. He feels relatively confident on the 4s which have been covered in class. The ISA is done.

He has a revision book by CGP (with online book too) and Letts revision guide. He has access to BBC bitesize and I have printed off a past paper (there don't seem to be many).

What other resources are available? He would prefer resources in this order (because he is dyslexic):

1. Animation/video
2. Computer reading, and
3. Normal reading (although hopefully he already has these resources covered with Letts, CGP and the past paper)

Ta!

sunbathe Tue 18-Mar-14 17:23:39

I'd look again for more past papers. Mine found doing past papers invaluable.

Can he ask the school's Head of Science for help with resources?

dippingbackin Tue 18-Mar-14 17:30:19

There are animations specifically for this course. OUP produce some but the school would have had to buy them in. As the poster above suggested, the first port of call should be the Head of Dept.

Annoyingly there are not that many past papers as it is a relatively new specification but there should be more than one. I think there should be some from June 2012, Jan 2013 and June 2013. Mark schemes are also on the OCR website.

If you need any more information let me know.

Kez100 Tue 18-Mar-14 18:01:10

Looks like there are at least two past papers I can print off for him to use then. He wanted me to avoid printing off one of them as they used it for the mock exam covering the 4's (and he thinks they will use it for 5s and 6s at some point).

He did ask the HOD for resources when he felt the pace was slow and was promised them but they never appeared. That's why he thought he would do it himself. I will get him to give him a tactful reminder and I will get him to ask if the school can buy in any OUP animations for the course.

Thanks.

sunbathe Wed 19-Mar-14 14:28:47

Good point about the mark scheme, dippin. Again, my dc found looking at the mark scheme to be really useful.

If you go on the OCR website and look it up, there are 'support materials' available as well as past papers and 'legacy past papers' (whatever they are) and examiners' reports of exams. So you can see, for instance, which questions are generally well answered and which questions candidates tended to struggle with.

Eghamite Wed 19-Mar-14 18:55:14

If he likes videos, he should check out the "Lammas Science" site on Youtube. This is a school that has put up their whole library of videos.

crazymum53 Fri 21-Mar-14 14:17:47

The legacy past papers are from the old specification i.e. before June 2012 and will still be useful.
Papers for June 2013 will not be available on the website, as exam boards tend not to publish the latest papers so that schools can use them as unseen mock exams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now