Talk

Advanced search

School who set in year 7 from the start

(9 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Thu 13-Mar-14 21:46:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leeds2 Thu 13-Mar-14 21:49:41

At my DD's school, they set for maths and English at October half term in Y7. She is now in Y11. I believe her school sets the children in maths from day 1 these days, although I don't know how they make the decision. I presume there is a lot of movement between sets.

MaddAddam Thu 13-Mar-14 21:51:24

Our secondary (a comp) sets for most subjects from the first term. They use sats, + tests they carry out in the first few weeks, + primary school reports. I think sats carried the most weight.
And in some subjects they set after maybe half a term, after a test.

moldingsunbeams Thu 13-Mar-14 21:58:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blu Fri 14-Mar-14 20:22:40

moldingsunbeams - I was just looking at your booster class thread and noticed that you say your dd has SEN.

In that case, and as she has a solid reading level, I would make an appointment to talk to the SEN or head of Inclusion at her new school before she starts. Our school has an Induction Evening for parents and children where you have a long meeting with a teacher, get lots of forms for lunch and music lessons, and ask any questions you need. In addition, because my DS has a particular issue, the Inclusion dept rang me up within the fist week of term to ask if I wanted a meeting.

I think you should talk all this through with the school and ask how they intend to support her and how this will affect the setting.

cansu Fri 14-Mar-14 21:19:56

Where I work she would be in the bottom set.

gardenfeature Sat 15-Mar-14 06:32:19

I agree with Blu. I would phone and speak to the SENCO or arrange a meeting with them. My DS was in a similar position (Level 3 writing, Level 5 reading - he has dyslexia). I meet with the SENCO and she said that she would "flag him up". He did however start off in the bottom set (I don't think SENCO has much control over setting) but gradually moved up to second and then up to top set. I suspect that every school will have students with mild SEN who are in lower sets than they should be so it's definitely worth starting a dialogue and keeping an eye on it.

Iamnotminterested Sat 15-Mar-14 13:47:02

DD1 scraped a 4c in maths in year 6 and is in set 3 out of 4, although at the top of that set. She's currently working at a 5b/a in year 8 so lots of progress.

cashmiriana Sat 15-Mar-14 20:46:38

It's different in different schools.
In DD1's (community comp, rural area, no other school for 9 miles) they set from day 1 in English and Maths. For other subjects they were in broad ability bands which largely reflected their English groupings. There was a lot of movement after the first half term, and again at the beginning of each year, although DD1's set has remained fairly stable since Y7 (she's now Y10)

Where different levels match classes depends largely on the size of the intake. In a 4 form intake, there will be a bigger range in the groups than in a school like DD1's where there are 7 or 8 classes in each year. e.g. 'top' set for GCSE maths is basically target A / A* at her school, but A* - B/C at her friend's school which is much smaller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now