Talk

Advanced search

Marlborough vs Uppingham for DD?

(10 Posts)
Alexis705 Thu 13-Mar-14 12:25:05

We are thinking of sending bright DD to boarding school in sixth form (for 2015). She's reasonably sporty (loves all water sports - sailing, swimming, water polo, scuba diving, surfing...), quite musical (grade 7), and very arty + academic.

We're finding it difficult to create a short-list of schools but currently are thinking Uppingham or Marlborough. Any opinions on these schools would be really great. We're also interested in knowing about boarding life (food, bedrooms, pastoral care, weekend activities etc.) from people who have a dc there or know about it.

Thanks so much!

propatria Thu 13-Mar-14 13:00:10

Think you also said she was a bit of a tom boy,that might well make people say no to one of those schools

mulv2222 Thu 13-Mar-14 20:08:13

We have family at marlborough who are from overseas. It's very much fill boarding and they have an amazing time. Girl left last year and got all A*at a level. Boy is still there and got amazing gcse grades and wasn't expected to do anything like as well. Selective schools will always look like they get better grades, and so they should. Less selective I'd want to know where to the bright get to? Where to the average get to?sIt's about the added value surely?

It's definitely full boarding though. Their parents are abroad and we only see them at exeat - although bit even then really as they are always asked to go to friends houses.

Alexis705 Fri 14-Mar-14 11:06:52

Do you know what the boarding conditions were like at Marlborough?
Full boarding or at least 50% boarders would probably be preferable to a weekly boarding school so the fact that Marlborough is definitely puts it high up on our list.

happygardening Fri 14-Mar-14 11:36:52

I have PMd you. I think at least 85% full board at Marlborough it's a big school as well about 900 if not more.

mulv2222 Fri 14-Mar-14 20:34:24

I've been in the girls house Millmead and it was really nice. Modern new ish build and the rooms were good. She had a fab time and is travelling with a group of boys and girls from marlborough at the moment.

AuntFidgetWonkhamStrong Fri 14-Mar-14 21:37:15

It might be worth calling Marlborough and asking to speak to/ meet with the head of boarding. I met her when we visited on an open day last year (for DS) and was very impressed with her; I'm sure she'd be happy to field any questions. The girls' boarding facilities are excellent, particularly in the girls' houses. You might prefer DD to go into a mixed house though, where all the girls arrive new in the Lower 6th. Have you visited?

Alexis705 Fri 14-Mar-14 21:54:07

No, we haven't been able to visit yet as we currently live in Australia. We will be in the UK in June this year though so will try to visit then.

BadgerB Sat 15-Mar-14 05:15:33

Uppingham has an excellent reputation for music and is also academic. If you visit in that area do, please, include Oakham, which I would choose over Marlborough or Uppingham. Has everything you could wish for, and does IB as well as A levels - very useful if considering unis outside the UK

JasonOgg Sat 15-Mar-14 11:16:28

Both Uppingham and Oakham are very close to Rutland Water if she likes her water sports. My DD does sailing as her PE option through the school there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now