Talk

Advanced search

Do kids have to do a MFL at GCSE?

(6 Posts)
Badvoc Fri 07-Mar-14 10:34:40

Well, just really!
Do they?
I know give has had to climb down over the new ebacc vs GCSE but what does that actually mean?

tiggytape Fri 07-Mar-14 10:48:08

There's no law that says they have to but some schools choose to make it compulsory - in the same way that some schools have option bands that mean children cannot do both History and Music because of the way it is all timetabled. Our school makes it compulsory for the top group children I think and optional (but highly recommended) for the others. I suspect children who really struggled though wouldn't have to do it.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 07-Mar-14 10:53:18

A lot of schools make children take an MFL which I do agree with although I'm nothin favour ofcthe ebacc

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 07-Mar-14 10:54:04

Lower ability children at dds school don't do an MFL GCSE but a different language qualification

flakjacket Fri 07-Mar-14 10:56:03

As everyone has said, it varies from school to school. DD1 has to, DD2 won't have to. DD1s school insist on an art, a humanity and an MFL in addition to English, Maths and Science. DD2 has to do English, Maths, Science, ICT and can then choose what she likes.

Badvoc Fri 07-Mar-14 10:58:07

Hmmm I see.
Thanks.
Ds1 hates French with a passion.
He would far prefer to do another subject.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now