Talk

Advanced search

Schools appeal

(6 Posts)
Madcow2014 Fri 07-Mar-14 03:38:08

I need to make an appeal against the LA decision with a secondary school place they gave us our last choice of school. I need advise on how and what to put in my appeal statement. My son is so unhappy about what's happened. Any help or advice very welcome.

ThreeBeeOneGee Fri 07-Mar-14 07:30:07

You need to appeal to the school you want, not against the school you don't.

Either provide evidence that he met the admissions criteria this year or that the LEA made an administrative error by not offering him a place.

Or provide evidence that your preferred school is the only school that can meet his needs, e.g. SEN, medical diagnosis, disability, social issues, specific educational needs.

These are the appeals which have been successful for people I know.

meditrina Fri 07-Mar-14 08:30:45

There are two basic areas for a secondary appeal - error or 'balance of prejudice'.

Which schools are you intendingto appeal for? Have you ad formal rejections? And do the reasons look right? (was DS in correct entrance category, was distance the tie breaker, and does your distance look right and was it further than the last distance offered in that category? Errors do happen, and if one deprived your DS of a place he would have secured if the application has been handled correctly, you will win.

But if the admin looks right, you will need to demonstrate that the disadvantage to your DS by not attending the appealed-for school is greater than the disadvantage to them in having an extra pupil. Two prongs: evidence that the school can cope over the Permitted Admision Number - ie have they successfully run larger groups in therecent past? And what it is about the school that makes it uniquely suitable for your DS. For example, if you can provide evidence he's an avid scientist and desired school does triple science but offered school does not; or he's very musical and one has orchestra and the other doesn't.

tiggytape Fri 07-Mar-14 10:53:33

As others have said you are not appealing against being given your place school. You are appealing for school number 1 on your list or perhaps even for school number 1,2 and 3 (you can appeal to any school that you applied to and failed to get a place at and you can do multiple appeals).

Assuming no mistake has been made (eg he has a sibling at school number 1 and they ignored this fact) then you are looking to show that the school you want best meets his needs and interests. This isn't about saying "school number 6 is rubbish and school number 1 has a better Ofsted" it is abotu things specific to your son. The triple science is a good example of this as is any club or scheme or anything they offer that would benefit him
If you can find out how many pupils are in each year you can find out if they have taken extra pupils in the past. This will also help your case as it shows they can cope with a few extra and not suffer disadvantage as a result.

PanelChair Fri 07-Mar-14 11:50:32

Can you tell us more about why you think your child should have a place at your preferred school, even though it is full? That way, we may be able to present your arguments at appeal, to make the most of the opportunity.

PanelChair Fri 07-Mar-14 11:52:29

Sorry, last a few words there.

That way, we may be able to advise you on how best to present your arguments at appeal ... etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now