Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to say this (LOL) re admissions/appeals?

(6 Posts)
Theas18 Tue 04-Mar-14 08:51:14

Yes I know it's not AIBU really smile

Having followed the allocations threads through appeals, stresses/tears etc in the past I think this hasn't yet been said this year....

IF YOU HAVE AN OFFER OF A PLACE ACCEPT IT .

Even if your first reaction is " over my dead body" and are planning to appeal/wait list every school in the country, even maybe move house, bump of an insured ancient relative to pay fees etc.

LA allocations are only obliged to offer ONE place and they have done that. Reject it and you could end up with NO place for September and they have no obligation to find you one ( and any other places are likely to be further/less acceptable schools).

No DM sad faces because you've rejected a place and they now have no place please!

stripeygreensocks Tue 04-Mar-14 09:03:35

There aren't many positives for living in Scotland right now, the way we do school admissions however, is a big plus for me. It just seems so complicated

janinlondon Tue 04-Mar-14 10:18:42

I am totally ignorant SGS - how is it done there please? Would be interesting to see if the same system could work in England...?

HSMMaCM Tue 04-Mar-14 10:21:55

Theas18 you're right. I remember when I rejected my school offer, lots of other parents said they would too and I got fed up of telling them that I had the option of home schooling, so they should accept their offers. A few ignored me and their children ended up miles away in dire schools.

prh47bridge Tue 04-Mar-14 10:54:38

Agree completely with Theas18 - you should always accept an offer unless you plan to HE. The LA won't make you a better offer just because you've rejected the first one. If you plan to appeal, rejecting the offered place won't help you and may damage your case if it seems you are trying to force the appeal panel to give you a place at the school you want.

janinlondon - In Scotland the assumption is that your child will go to the local primary school and most do (far more so than in England I believe although I can't immediately find the statistics). Every primary school is associated with a secondary school. You automatically get a place at your local primary school and its associated secondary school even if it is oversubscribed (although if it is heavily oversubscribed you may not get a place). You can request a place at another school but the LA may refuse if it is oversubscribed. They can also refuse in-year transfers on the grounds that your child has changed school too often - that would be illegal in England.

Martorana Tue 04-Mar-14 10:58:08

Absolutely!

And for next year- no, if you only put one school down on your form it does not mean they have to give you a place there- it means that if there isn't a place at the school you want! they can offer you any spare place at all anywhere

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now