Talk

Advanced search

Btec First certificate in Business Studies

(9 Posts)
RussianBlu Sat 01-Mar-14 11:03:18

Hello

I wonder if anyone can give me an insight into this course, perhaps one of your children are taking it? My son has recently decided to consider it at the last moment. What kind of things do they study and is it necessary to be good at maths? I remember taking something called Management and Information Studies at a Higher level (Scotland) and really enjoyed it. I wonder if its similar. It appears to be worth 2 GCSE's, does that mean there is a ridiculous amount of homework involved?

Many thanks in advance.

cricketballs Sat 01-Mar-14 11:17:07

The BTEC course is made up of coursework and external tests. Whilst there is a finance unit you don't have to be fantastic at maths to tackle it, the course work should be completed during lesson times.

The certificate is worth 2 GCSEs, however for the school league table and in terms of college entry it is classed as 1 subject, so it would be worthwhile checking if this is the qualification being offered and if it is being the correct amount of lesson time is allocated. If double time is not offered, then they should be doing the Award, which is the 1 GCSE equivalent.

Whilst I am a massive advocate for vocational qualifications, the new BTEC specifications are, in my opinion, more difficult than GCSE and I know several schools who are considering not running them anymore.

TheFallenMadonna Sat 01-Mar-14 11:25:00

We have stooped offering BTEC Applied Science, as the new specifications are difficult to administer, and the exam is GCSE like anyway. The departments I'm my school running the new BTECs are actively looking for alternatives. Do you have an opportunity to talk to the teacher running it?

RussianBlu Sat 01-Mar-14 11:29:17

Thank you for the speedy reply cricketballs. I was surprised that it says it is worth 2 GCSE's when it is not listed as taking up 2 options spaces, almost as if it is cramming is double the work in one singe subject space. If he was to take for example, BTEC sport this would be counted as 2 options so I don't really understand why BTEC business studies in classed as one option. It is listed in the booklet as BTEC first certificate in business through edexcel.

Is it seen as an easy subject if it is only classed as one subject for college entry?

Finally, does anyone know if BTECs are somewhat similar to NVQs?

RussianBlu Sat 01-Mar-14 11:31:09

Oh dear, not good reviews for BTECs so far!

He basically needs to choose between Food Tech GCSE and BTEc Business or R.E but he seems to have no interest in that. This option choosing business is giving me a sore head!

cricketballs Sat 01-Mar-14 12:58:12

One thought - have they not updated the options booklet? The old spec had certificate which was worth 2, was all coursework so possible to do in one option block. Whereas the new specifications are different names, different GLH, different in assessment.

I loved delivering the old spec, it was relevant, went into areas far more than GCSE does, but the assessment was straight forward. The new spec's finance test was very difficult, the assignments are difficult to follow andthe continous assessment feature which suited my students has changed.

The only redeeming feature is that the test can be resat unlike GCSEs.

I am also seriously considering not running it next year.

RussianBlu Sat 01-Mar-14 17:10:52

Hi Cricketballs

No, the options booklet was only given out a few weeks ago and didn't note any changes, still worth 2 gcses and being run by edexcel.

I don't know what to think anymore!

cricketballs Sun 02-Mar-14 07:14:10

Every year subject leaders will have to check their info in the options book, what I suggested was the business page has not been updated before printing and giving out. I would suggest you speak to the school to clarify the information

RussianBlu Sun 02-Mar-14 08:17:46

Thanks for that, I will send an email to the school about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now