Talk

Advanced search

Suffolk boys schools

(10 Posts)
audley Fri 28-Feb-14 15:21:54

Does anyone here have any experience of independent schools in the Ipswich area? I am thinking ahead to move from state primary.thank you.

diabolo Fri 28-Feb-14 16:13:59

As far as I am aware there are no boys only independents in Suffolk, the only single sex I know is Ipswich High School (girls).

Ipswich School is well thought off, I know people with kids at RHS and St Joseph's but they are all co- ed.

audley Fri 28-Feb-14 19:49:23

Really?! Thanks for the info.anything more you can tell me about the ones you have mentioned?

mymatemax Fri 28-Feb-14 19:54:26

If you are happy not to be in the centre of Ipswich then Woodbridge School is lovely. Does seem to have a higher ratio of boys, not sure if that is because there are a couple of girls schools locally.
I know a number of boys there and all doing very well, has a really good feel about the place.

audley Fri 28-Feb-14 19:56:17

Great mmm thanks.my neighbors soon goes there and they are happy with it too.

diabolo Fri 28-Feb-14 20:51:23

I think a poster on here called "woodentop" knows more about Woodbridge.

justicewomen Fri 28-Feb-14 21:39:28

My son goes to Ipswich School in year 7, having been at a local primary school.
He has settled in very well, loving the maths/sciences/music and wide range of sports. There are more boys than girls but we are glad it is mixed sex, as my son is friendly (and academically competitive) with some of the girls. He chose it in preference to CRGS, where he got a place, as it is a lot closer to home; and, as he can put a lot of pressure on himself, it gives him more time to for extra curricula activities and relaxation. He got a very good scholarship and they do seem to have a good amount for scholarships and bursaries.

He did not want to go to the other schools around due to the travel involved so I know little about them.

audley Fri 28-Feb-14 22:34:28

Thanks justice, I have heard that boys need to excel at music or sports to fit in at Ipswich School, would you agree? How is the pastoral care in your experience?

justicewomen Fri 28-Feb-14 23:03:31

Hi Audley
I think enjoy rather than excel. They do have a awful lot of sport on offer with multiple school teams in hockey, rugby, cricket, fives, squash etc etc so more opportunities to do competitive sport than in other schools (where only the best are selected)

Plus PE participating in gymnastics, swimming, badminton, trampolining, athletics, basketball.

If a child hated sport it might be a bit much. My son loves it but is not naturally gifted.

Music is at a high standard, but in addition to the elite stuff, they also have all year choir singing (like for the Brittain centenary) which is great.

They have loads of clubs, drama and art thing which I do not hear about (because my son is not so keen on them). They have a lot of extra events like academic lectures and trips out. I get the impression that then non-schoolwork stuff is given a very high priority.

I get the impression that the pastoral care is good. They have certainly accommodated mine and other parents' disabilities at events which I appreciate. We get very good feedback on progress. No doubt something will come up to annoy but so far, so good.

audley Sat 01-Mar-14 08:21:37

Thanks so much justice, that sounds ideal. I am glad your son is having such a positive experience. I will go to the next open day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now