Talk

Advanced search

Academic Exhibition Awards

(6 Posts)
sparrowen Fri 28-Feb-14 12:25:17

I was recently speaking to a group of mums one of whom mentioned that their child got an academic exhibition award at a selective indie for 11+. Now, I know about academic scholarships but it is the first time I have come across an academic exhibition award. I know that scholarships are more lucrative (some financially too) but how does academic exhibitions compare and why do students get these and on what basis? What do they include? I came away wanting to find out more....

ATrueBeliever Fri 28-Feb-14 12:31:00

DS's school has them. Essentially a lesser form of scholarship. Almost a runners up prize as it were. Can still include fee remission, and obviously means that you've done better than the general mass.

meditrina Fri 28-Feb-14 12:40:52

It's an alternative name for a minor scholarship.

Like any form of scholarship, it may or may not have cash value.

sparrowen Fri 28-Feb-14 13:02:19

Thanks All. I never realised that these existed. I do think it is a fab idea for maybe those who are bright but not necessarily geniuses ! Slighly off topic now but assuming that DS gets into 2 schools of same calibre both offering awards of this type - one schools offers DS and the other does not. Assuming performance was the "same" at both school, does this mean that one school had harder exams or applicants of a much higher calibre. Does this mean that the school that offers the child an award would be less challenging for DS as they would be typically performing at top of class. Would the other school not offering the award mean that DS would be up againt much higher calibre candidates and perhaps may get stretched more? Ofcourse, this is all assuming that DS would be capable of these awards in the first place !

diabolo Fri 28-Feb-14 13:10:55

Exhibition awards are given at my DS's school to those who perform well in non-academic subjects, so art, drama etc. They attract a 5% fee reduction.

dellon Fri 28-Feb-14 16:30:08

the difference in financial value between a scholarship and exhibition can be minuscule in some schools and both can be nominal awards of low amounts in some indie schools unless topped up with a means tested bursary...it's more the kudos, "scholarships" being the major award and "exhibitions" the minor...but both carry prestige.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now