Talk

Advanced search

Godolphin and Latymer vs Latymer Upper

(8 Posts)
barbosska Thu 27-Feb-14 21:05:06

The time for accepting the offers is running out and having read the threads and spoken to parents around, we are still undecided on these two schools. DD likes LU, but is OK to go to GL too. Things I’ve heard about LU are rather scary: no pastoral care, children are burnt out by the time they reach A level, some of them took a year off school to rest, weaker and disruptive intake from Latymer Junior etc, drugs are also often mentioned, but apparently it is an issue at all school. Nevertheless, we like co-ed, as DD was on co-ed and likes it better that girls’ only, but this was when she was a child, and we are coming to teenage years soon.

Are there any parents from Latymer Upper on this thread or people with direct experience of it??? Please put my mind at rest. DD prefers the school, but for me it sounds a bigger risk that GL which many people say has a good pastoral care.

We still did not rule out SHHS completely too…

Thank you

Eastpoint Fri 28-Feb-14 05:41:53

My friends whose dds are at Latymer love the school. They like the mixed environment, they were all previously at a single sex prep school, they aren't 'boy crazy' just like having boys in the classroom too. The friend I'm closest to is happy with her DD's tutor (form teacher). The pupils are set for maths & French and the sets are very fluid at this stage (yrs8 & 9). The pupils I know who are at university did take gap years but this was not because they were 'burnt out', they are now all thriving at their universities. There are only 44 from the Prep in the senior school, the majority of pupils in the upper school are new.

If your dd is desperately unhappy at LU I expect she would be able to move to G&L, I think that would be easier than the other way round. I'm not sure why I'm encouraging you to send your dd to LU, I know someone who'd really like a place and is on the waiting list smile.

Marni23 Fri 28-Feb-14 07:36:56

OP I have a DS at LU and I don't recognise your description of the school at all! I think pastoral care may have been an issue in the past but LU have recognised this (or that this was the perception) and put a lot of emphasis on it now. The workload is manageable so far and although standards are high the pupils don't seem to feel pressurised. My DS was the only child from his primary school to go there and settled in very quickly. He has friends who came up from the prep and all seem delightful-he certainly hasn't complained about any of them being disruptive (and I don't think that would be tolerated anyway). We're really pleased we chose the school.

tripleweetabix Fri 28-Feb-14 18:03:12

I have a DD in LU now in her second year. We also were torn between G&L and LU and eventually went for LU as it had a better reputation for teaching science and maths, and we got a better vibe from the open day though TBH academically they are about on par with each other. We are very happy with the pastoral care and teaching. DD gets on with her work and is doing well but actually, she is not burdened with lots of homework and is easily able to do after-school activities on 3 days of the week . The cohort from the prep generally seem approachable and don't, on the whole , feel they are "entitled" because of coming from the prep. The presence of the boys seems to be a good influence at times- it challenges DD in maths and computing and they are all just "mates" .
Actually -either school is a good choice and she would probably enjoy either but I recommend LU.

harrassedswlondonmum Fri 28-Feb-14 20:04:26

I also have a boy at LU, in year 9, and like Marni I don't recognise your description. Any challenging characters are swiftly dealt with as necessary, in my experience. I think the school is great.

newbiefrugalgal Fri 28-Feb-14 20:11:12

Sporting fields are some distance at LU
I spoke to a boy at Lu about the changes once the girls arrived -very noisy was all he said

Both are great choices

choselatymer Fri 28-Feb-14 21:24:47

I have a DS at LUS.
There was once an incident, something a child said upset DS. The school's swift reaction was outstanding. Form teacher called us to inform us before DS got home. The other child was made to speak to form teacher and then head of year. 24 hours later DS and this child were best of mates again. And that was the end of it. I was very impressed and felt my child was in good hands.
We love the school. It prides itself in providing a rounded education. Lots of schools say the same but then give the children hours of homework so they have no time to pursue any other interests! LUS are clever enough to know they have a bright cohort which doesn't need to be relentlessly grinded and pushed to get those A*s. So far DS is happy and has time for tons of music, reading, sport, hobbies, etc.
Definitely not an exam factory. Challenging in a good way. Very switched on, vibrant. Pace of learning is fast!

I know how hard it is to choose, OP. Good luck to your DD whatever you decide.

Rifraf79 Wed 05-Mar-14 09:31:34

Hi. Barbosska. You sent a pm to me asking for thoughts on LU to which i replied on Sunday. It was a fairly lengthy reply so I hope you do read it.... But in brief, our DS year 7 is very happy at the school (after the normal settling in challenges) and we are really glad he/we chose it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now