Talk

Advanced search

scholarship dropouts

(12 Posts)
smegheeeeeed Sun 23-Feb-14 16:52:47

My dd has just taken and passed the entrance exam for a selective independant school, we did apply for full fee remission as we cannot afford to pay fees and were told we would qualify for full remission, unfortunately more than 50 applicants applied for 20 fee remission places she was 22nd so only just missed out, what are the chances of parents not taking up the places, 3rd of march is the date when all places have to be accepted, am I grasping at straws here or does this happen? she has been offered a place if we pay full fees, I would have preferred it if they just said sorry you didnt get a place sad

sstressedofstreatham Sun 23-Feb-14 17:05:08

If in London I would say highish as some or at least two hopefully will be dithering about trying to get sums to balance or waiting for a grammar option closer to home or have generous offers elsewhere. Is that 20 places all st 100%? If so ...wow!

smegheeeeeed Sun 23-Feb-14 17:15:36

not in london , in east yorkshire, there are only 2 independent schools in the area, I dont know if that means all 20 get 100% fees , I think it may mean that they can give fee remission of whatever percentage the means test shows is needed to the top 20 who pass. we were classed as needing 100% so if she had been in the top 20 we would have got full remission.

hercules1 Sun 23-Feb-14 18:32:12

I believe scholarships aren't means tested- that's bursaries?

LIZS Sun 23-Feb-14 19:50:36

ime scholarships aren't reallocated but bursary funding might be although I think it unlikely you'd go from a full fee place to 100% remission.

smegheeeeeed Sun 23-Feb-14 20:25:44

wrong choice or wording in the title, its fee remission, not a scholarship, the school has provision to waive fees completely or waive part fees depending on your means test result, if your child scores in the top twenty you get the remission suitable to your circumstances, thats why you get the results of the means test before your child sits the exam, so if they only offer you 50% and you absolutley cant stump up the other 50% you wouldnt put your child in for the exam, we were told if she scored high enough to be allocated fees we would get the full 100% remission. she scored high enough to get in the school just not high enough to be allocated fees. if people dont accept the fee remission places the funds then become available to the next child in line who needs them.

Coconutty Sun 23-Feb-14 20:44:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TalkinPeace Sun 23-Feb-14 20:53:10

I sat a bucket load of scholarship exams in the Lower 3rd
I got several of them
but ended up going somewhere totally different
so all those places went to the next in line

I doubt I was that unusual

smegheeeeeed Mon 24-Feb-14 15:20:47

thats good to know , fingers crossed for the next week then.

Slh122 Mon 24-Feb-14 15:22:36

Is it pocklington school?

smegheeeeeed Sat 01-Mar-14 20:34:17

sorry for the delay in replying , no its Hymers, we were told on friday that all fee remission places have not yet been accepted so still hoping for good news on monday.

Edenviolet Sun 02-Mar-14 17:12:50

Don't be disheartened. Last year I was in your position. Dd was 13 th on the list of candidates and we were the only family who qualified for 100% bursary.

Initially dd was offered a full fee place, then a 50% bursary which still wasn't enough then luckily two people turned down scholarships and the school phoned us to say they may be able to add the unwanted scholarship award percentage to dds bursary which in the end they were able to.
It was a drawn out process over a couple of weeks and we didn't know if we would be able to send dd there till we got a good enough offer which was stressful.

Just wanted to let you know people do turn down scholarships/bursaries so you do still have a chance!

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now