Talk

Advanced search

R.E?

(24 Posts)
Iamnotminterested Sat 15-Feb-14 20:56:35

At Dds school I think I'm correct in saying that all children do a short course Gcse and take the ex at the end of year 10. How many take it further and can they, even? Is it generally offered in year 11? Dd really enjoys R.E (not particularly religious, just enjoys the ethics/philosophy side) and is getting really good grades in year 8. So is it something she could continue with beyond year 10?

IndridCold Sun 16-Feb-14 10:30:54

DS is taking RS GCSE, and is really enjoying it (he is not religious either BTW). Lots of boys at his school take it, but I guess it depends on the school. You would need a good teacher too, but I would imagine that is not a problem if your DD is liking it already!

There is a religious element to it, but quite small (they study either St Marks Gospel or Buddhism); most of it is the discussion of moral and ethical issues. It is useful for learning how to formulate a good argument for or against something.

creamteas Sun 16-Feb-14 10:31:01

Whether or not she can take it further at school will completely depend on the school itself.

TeenAndTween Sun 16-Feb-14 11:04:55

At our school short course RE is compulsory.
They can use an option to turn it into both RE and Sociology GCSEs.
(so instead of 0.5 RE + 1 other GCSE, they get 1 RE and 1 Sociology)

You'll need to ask your school.

BackforGood Sun 16-Feb-14 15:00:55

Depends on the school. For example in dd's school almost everyone takes it, working on the theory it has time on the timetable anyway, so might as well get an exam for it.
It was very popular at ds's school too.

TalkinPeace Sun 16-Feb-14 17:07:58

RE is NOT COMPULSORY

you just need to sign a declaration to that effect ...

as an atheist I am utterly in favour of RE education up to year 9
but from year 10 onwards it just blocks options

ask the school to produce the declaration for you to sign
and free that timetable up for what matters

HSMMaCM Mon 17-Feb-14 21:19:47

DD yr 10 is loving RS GCSE. There are all sorts of controversial subjects to debate and she does not feel pushed in any particular direction (as long as she can back up her argument).

Luciferbox Mon 17-Feb-14 21:21:41

Are you in Wales?

ThreeBeeOneGee Mon 17-Feb-14 21:22:31

It depends on the school. DS1 & DS2's school offers a GCSE in RS: Philosophy & Ethics.

BackforGood Mon 17-Feb-14 21:40:47

All the teen I know love RE GCSE, because it is all about a good debate and being able to back up the argument. It's about ethics and philosophy more than studying any religion. A really interesting subject, and also a great skill set for anybody to develop.

TeenAndTween Mon 17-Feb-14 21:45:35

Back Sadly DD really doesn't get on with it at all for just the reasons you describe.
It's too fluffy, & you have to be able to think of a concise argument there and then for the questions. Just the skills she struggles with.

BadgerB Tue 18-Feb-14 05:46:20

It's considered a respectable academic A level by universities

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Tue 18-Feb-14 05:52:29

RE is compulsory until end of KS4 in England/Wales

Here's a link to the relevant gov.uk page and you can find out more if you link through to DofEd pages.

It is not however compulsory to take any public exam in it.

ThreeBeeOneGee Tue 18-Feb-14 08:10:30

and free that timetable up for what matters

Don't assume that it will be an option to study another subject in the RS slot. In many schools this won't be logistically possible.

yourlittlesecret Tue 18-Feb-14 11:56:38

In DS2's school there was no option to do the long course in school. He really enjoyed RE, again the ethics and philosophy side (atheist). The RE teacher offered to do a twilight session for about a dozen of them who wanted to do long course. He does this after school 1 night a week.

There is one RE lesson timetabled. Most students are now, in year 11, using it for revision, the GCSE students are still having lessons.
It seems to be an interesting subject for GCSE. Both my DSs are fervent atheists but both enjoyed it. DS1 got an A* much to his religious grandmother's delight.

TalkinPeace Tue 18-Feb-14 13:18:21

WhiskyTango
Schools have to provide RE but parents can opt their kids out of it.
The opt out is included in the GCSE options form at DCs school
RE is an "option"
neither of my kids (and many others) chose that option

ZeroSomeGameThingy Tue 18-Feb-14 13:26:04

OP Have I misunderstood your question? I thought you were asking about the possibility of RE at A'Level - which is eminently possible if her school offers it.

And it sounds as if you are growing a Theology graduate!

creamteas Tue 18-Feb-14 15:11:17

*Schools have to provide RE but parents can opt their kids out of it.
The opt out is included in the GCSE options form at DCs school*

At my DCs school, RE is not timetabled as an option, it is on the compulsory timetable for all up to Y11.

If you exercise the right to remove your DC from RE and they get to sit in the learning support area as there is nowhere else for them to go.

The LSA is where the kids on behaviour sanctions are based, so although it is not meant as a punishment, it is experienced as such.

TalkinPeace Tue 18-Feb-14 17:40:34

fair enough ... the joys on a secular comp I guess - only about 100 kids a year do RE at our school

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Tue 18-Feb-14 17:44:06

Very popular at the school I taught in. More pupils than history some years. Mainly due to an inspiring genius of a head of department (not me!)

The philosophy and ethics side is great and can really stretch students.

PotteringAlong Tue 18-Feb-14 17:46:29

Depends on the school. I'm head of RE and at my school all pupils take full course RE.

Iamnotminterested Tue 18-Feb-14 18:52:33

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I mean as a full Gcse, not A level (I don't think?) As many have said she enjoys the ethical/debating side of it and as a good writer finds she can really get her teeth into it. We'll find out more I guess when we start on the whole options shebang next year - eek.

Iamnotminterested Tue 18-Feb-14 19:08:55

P.S not in Wales.

creamteas Tue 18-Feb-14 19:40:00

Talkin

It is a secular comp, but still has compulsory RE.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now