Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend a good science (work)book for DS, Y7.

(11 Posts)
Celeriacacaca Sat 15-Feb-14 14:48:13

DS needs a bit of a boost so I thought I would get some sort of book which explains in an interesting way what they're covering in Y7 science. Maybe not a workbook as such but something we can go through together. TIA.

ThreeBeeOneGee Sat 15-Feb-14 15:42:02

CGP do a KS3 Science revision guide with questions at the end of each section. DS1 and DS2's school provide a copy to every child doing KS3 Science, so they clearly approve of it.

reddidi Sat 15-Feb-14 16:44:46

Also try Bitesize as its free. My kids like Focus magazine but it is definitely not free.

Naggity Sat 15-Feb-14 16:58:03

My children found 'Science: The Definitive Visual Guide', published by DK, to be an interesting read.

bazingasheldon Sat 15-Feb-14 17:02:34

My daughter (year 8) loves The Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science. It covers physics, chemistry and biology.

Hobnobissupersweet Sat 15-Feb-14 21:29:36

Second bbc bitesize and CGP range, they do a workbook (complete with answers at the back) as well as the revision guide that has some questions in it.

kscience Sat 15-Feb-14 21:39:52

There are lots of DK books that are relevant and far more interesting to read than the revision guides produced.

Bitesize can be useful but is also rather superficial.

Also use
http://lgfl.skoool.co.uk/keystage3.aspx?id=80
http://www.scibermonkey.org/

morethanpotatoprints Sat 15-Feb-14 21:48:08

My dd is only 10 but just starting KS3.

She is using y7/y8 workbooks by Letts. They are a good combination to use with CGP revision and study books.

I don't think it matters which you use tbh, have a look in The works, WH Smith and Waterstones you'll be spoilt for choice.

Celeriacacaca Sat 15-Feb-14 22:34:30

Thank you all - some really useful info there.

littledrummergirl Sun 16-Feb-14 00:51:36

Ds2 is yr7. He was worried so I bought Lonsdale books for maths science and english. He has brought home science homework that looks as though it was photocopied from the workbook.
I find these good although I could only find the coursebooks in maths and english so am having to hunt down supplimentary worksheets.

Celeriacacaca Thu 20-Feb-14 18:24:51

Thanks reddidi re Focus magazine. It's great. DS had to do some homework on evolution and current issue has a great article on it which he was really enthused about. For everyone's info, there's a deal where you can get 5 issues for £5 and then it's £16.50 for 6 months (via immediate media), which is a good saving on £3.99 cover price. Have also ordered one of the books. Thanks again all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now