Talk

Advanced search

School acceptance deadlines

(8 Posts)
TooBusyByHalf Fri 14-Feb-14 13:01:04

The pan london scheme offers (ie state school allocations) are emailed on the evening of 3 march. I've just had an offer for dd for the only private school she applied for with scholarship but the deadline for accepting is 4pm on the 3rd. Is that usual? Seems very unfair that they make you enter a binding contract for the first terms fees before you know what you're choosing between. Another (more competitive) school that we decided not to go for has a deadline a couple of days later.
Do you think we can ask for 24 hours leeway?
If we miss the deadline will be lose the scholarship?
What would you do?

barbour Fri 14-Feb-14 13:25:21

We have had have had indie offers with deadlines ranging from March 3 to March 5th, so not unusual...but asking for a 24 hour extension seems reasonable.

harrassedswlondonmum Fri 14-Feb-14 13:53:06

We were in this position a few years ago, and the school (GDST) were willing to give us an extra 24 hours. You can ask.

Minesacuppa Fri 14-Feb-14 14:53:54

out of interest, has anyone asked for an extension because they are on the waiting list for another school and are waiting for that school's acceptance deadline to arrive, to see if a place becomes available?

KayleeFrye Fri 14-Feb-14 16:34:11

I would assume that the school has set that deadline deliberately, so they could know who was wholeheartedly choosing that school above all others and who was treating them as a safety net against a disappointment from a different preferred choice

Journeytolight Sat 15-Feb-14 09:08:49

Very unfair! They are probably doing it deliberately. Would ask the school if they could give you some time as minesacuppa said.

TooBusyByHalf Sat 15-Feb-14 14:09:53

Thanks yes I think we will ask. I expect it is deliberate but for some us the financial outlay is too much to enter into lightly (3 kids in all so if we do that for dd1 then we're in for huge sums over many years) so I think it's reasonable to consider the state offer before we commit.

tess73 Sat 15-Feb-14 18:15:35

It's a money spinner, I asked and got a weekend extension which was enough. Lots of my friends paid up and lost the deposit, just be honest with them. Bet you get an extension for a day or two. They also like to know their firm numbers when the state offers come out as they tend to be inundated with new applicants who are shocked with their state allocation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now