Talk

Advanced search

Another expected levels question (sorry)

(8 Posts)
wineoclocktimeyet Thu 13-Feb-14 17:25:04

But not a "my son is level 234 aged 2 is this good?" though smile

Does anyone know what the expected levels for the end of Year 7 are please? Just had DS1's report home but don't know what the numbers mean (I did google but they all seem to differ)

Thanks

WelshMoth Thu 13-Feb-14 17:26:31

A teach a MFL and would expect the average Y7 to hit a level 3, and exceptionally good students at a level 4.

wineoclocktimeyet Thu 13-Feb-14 17:42:57

Thank WelshMoth

wineoclocktimeyet Thu 13-Feb-14 17:45:11

whoops, Thanks

elliepac Thu 13-Feb-14 17:46:06

At end of year 7, in a lot of subjects 4 is the average. Some will achieve 5's and the very brightest 6's. Speaking as a middle management teacher here.

Ragwort Thu 13-Feb-14 17:49:15

Is there a website or something that we can look all this up? My DS is Y8 and I find it totally baffling trying to understand all the different levels.

In my day you were good/average or awful <O Level era grin>

BalloonSlayer Thu 13-Feb-14 19:21:13

This is the school page I always redirect people to. I think I found out about it on MN anyway.

In subjects DCs have been studying already - English and Maths, their levels will be higher. So someone who got a level 5b at the end of Y6, allowing for a dip at the start of Y7 would probably start getting grades of 5C at the start of the year and (using the rule-of-thumb of 2 sub levels a year) be predicted to be on a 5a by the end of Y7, and using the same rule, to be predicted to be on a 7C by the end of Y9.

Subjects that DCs have never studied before, like languages, start at very low levels, say a 2b, but progress much more quickly.

Subjects that have never been studied in detail, like History and Geography are somewhere between the two.

intheenddotcom Thu 13-Feb-14 19:26:31

One level of progress is expected here - so if SATS are L4 then L5, L5 then L6. Very few of our students are expected below L5 except in languages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now