Talk

Advanced search

Help! DS got 6th Form Interview Tomorrow....

(15 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Thu 13-Feb-14 16:30:38

Neither of us know what to expect. It's at a Grammar (he's currently at a comp) so it feels a bit scary.

His grades are good but not sure about his interview technique! Also, he has AS.

He really really wants to go to this particular 6th form!

Any top tips?

Lottiedoubtie Thu 13-Feb-14 16:39:41

Be polite, stand up when interviewer approaches him, shake hands, eye contact. If the AS makes this impossible, is he taking documentation with him that explains his difficulties to the school?

Enthusiasm both for his potential A Levels and being 'a part' of the Grammar school as a whole is important.

Get him to think up answers to questions like-

'Why do you want to move from your current school to a school like ours?'
'What can you offer the school?'
'What do you enjoy most about school'
'What do you think you might like to do after A Levels?'
'What do you do in your free time'
'What would you do if something happened at school that you thought was unfair?'

Leeds2 Thu 13-Feb-14 17:27:12

He needs also to have some questions of his own to ask, because the interviewer is bound to ask if he has any.

Good Luck!

BaconAndAvocado Thu 13-Feb-14 18:03:54

Thanks both of you. Great questions to ask smile

We're going to do a couple of mock interviews tonight.

His school documentation will have the AS on it,which I know they will have gone through.

senua Thu 13-Feb-14 21:08:51

If you are in an obvious interview situation, then that makes life easy. Sometimes teachers will 'chat' unofficially or see how the students perform when left to themselves (start conversations with others?, hide behind their hair?). So watch out for the surreptitious observations.

BaconAndAvocado Thu 13-Feb-14 22:40:38

Blimey, that sounds scary senua shock

senua Fri 14-Feb-14 00:08:22

Sorry! Didn't mean to scare you.
It's just that people 'turn it on' for interviews. I think the staff are trying to get a truer picture.

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 14-Feb-14 07:16:16

Maybe too late, but if it's a state school then the interview can't be part of the selection process (e.g. see www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=34053 ), so he shouldn't feel too pressured. It should be framed as a discussion of choices and so on.

Hope it goes well! (My daughter had her sixth form college interview last week and ended up really enjoying it, despite her fears beforehand.)

BaconAndAvocado Fri 14-Feb-14 13:15:44

DS thinks it all went well and, as he came out of the office, the Head of 6th said, "that was a very positive interview".

We won't found out till after half term....agh!

Thanks all, we used your questions in our mock interviews last night!

Lottiedoubtie Fri 14-Feb-14 16:30:48

That sounds very promising, well done your DS!

If his predicted grades are up to scratch and they thought the interview went positively I would have thought he was in with a very very good chance. Fingers crossed!

Leeds2 Fri 14-Feb-14 19:18:55

That sounds like it went well!

BaconAndAvocado Sat 15-Feb-14 12:46:23

I wasn't aware of that atia

I think his predicted grades are up to scratch for,what he wants to study and he already has A grades in maths, chem and biology from early entry in Year 10.

We're all so proud of him as he's worked very hard.

He's going away for,the week so will be distracted from the waiting and worrying, lucky boy! Not sure how I'm going to stop worrying! My 2 LOs will probably help with that I expect...... grin

BaconAndAvocado Fri 28-Feb-14 11:53:51

Hello all, we found out yesterday that DS got his conditional offer at the Grammar 6th form.

Sooo pleased and proud!

He only has to get a B in Physics and is predicted an A*.

Thanks to all of you for your great advice for the interview. It has paid off!
thanks thanks thanks

......now the hard work really begins!

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 28-Feb-14 13:57:37

Well done to Bacon Jr smile

BaconAndAvocado Fri 28-Feb-14 15:38:11

grin thanks atia

Think I'm more excited than he is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now