Talk

Advanced search

parents evening at secondary

(12 Posts)
pixiepotter Thu 13-Feb-14 14:23:46

I have 5 children and one thing I khave noticed in recent years is that school teachers, especially the secondary (grammar) school ones who seem yery young seem very ry frightened of me.I am always very sweet and polite and thank them.I just find it a bit disconcerting that they are so nervous.Have others noticed this, or have I got a fearsome face?

Seeline Thu 13-Feb-14 14:28:21

grin
I have only had 1 parents evening at secondary and was totally taken aback at how young most of the teachers were! None of them seemed particularly frightened of me or DH ( we worked out that we were probably old enough to be most of their parents). They did all seem happy to listen to our concerns and answer questions.
Strangely the one who did back down pretty quick was the one nearer to retirement!

Floggingmolly Thu 13-Feb-14 14:32:00

I haven't met a nervous teacher yet (and I wouldn't be very impressed if I did) confused. Are you very intimidating?

noblegiraffe Thu 13-Feb-14 14:33:49

Maybe you have a reputation? wink

I was nervous at my first few parents evenings when I was an NQT. I noticed that parents were also a lot more challenging, assuming an NQT wouldn't know what they were doing. When I got married and became a mrs, I seemed to get more respect!

AtiaoftheJulii Thu 13-Feb-14 14:33:53

No, no nervous ones here, even the ones who look like they're only just out of school uniform!

pixiepotter Thu 13-Feb-14 14:33:57

I am beginning to think I must be [embarassed]

pixiepotter Thu 13-Feb-14 14:34:27

blush

Goldmandra Thu 13-Feb-14 14:35:46

If my DD1's last school is anything to go by they are probably just stressing about whether they have got your DC's name right. Up until GCSE courses started, half of DD1's teachers didn't even know who she was which was appalling considering she has significant additional needs for which they should all have been making provision.

ThreeBeeOneGee Thu 13-Feb-14 18:47:11

It's you. You must be somewhat terrifying.

I have noticed some of the teachers being very young (and the ones that the DCs describe as 'old' turn out to be my age) but none of them have seemed nervous or scared of me.

BackforGood Fri 14-Feb-14 18:38:26

No - you must have a fearsome face grin
Never had that with any of my dc and I am quite happy to challenge statements as and when necessary.

OTOH, I do find I get far too much 'positive comments' and not enough honesty, which I suppose could be a 'worried about the reaction' thing.

RussianBlu Sat 15-Feb-14 09:56:00

Its probably a pained expression on their faces at the thought of having to sit through 3+ hours of parents coming at them in a constant stream when they have been at school since 8am without very much of a break.

jobbingteacher Tue 18-Feb-14 19:44:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now