Talk

Advanced search

Charging for school concerts £6 adult £5 child in a state school?

(11 Posts)
Joanna2650 Thu 13-Feb-14 04:39:48

My kids attend a large academy school in Oxfordshire. We have over 1000 students and so there are few events for the school community. We do have a few musical events we are invited to attend such as the winter concert and summer concert.

However, the music department charges £6 adult, £5 child for all school concerts.

Having helped out on the bar at these events ( more money for the music department), I saw compromised families who wanted to support their kids trying to get in with fewer tickets than their family group required, or just trying to get past the strict ticket collectors on the door. Seeing this kind if discomfort in families and also experiencing the sour faces of many families some of whom had paid £28 to have grandma, mum, dad and siblings come to watch and support.

As a professional musician myself I am all for supporting music departments. In fact I am fundraising for the music department's requests for the PTA. But is it just me or is this far too much to charge for a concert?
Please bear in mind there are minimal costs involved. No programmes, music parts from the schools extensive music library...

I am seriously thinking about starting a petition...

stillenacht Thu 13-Feb-14 05:01:28

Our Christmas concert tickets are £5/£3. I do think £6/£5 is a bit steep. We have used the money over the last 10 yrs or so in our music dept to buy laptops, notation packages, music theory and aural training packages, 30 ukuleles, sheet music, microphones, music stands, reeds/strings, keyboards and guitars. It is hugely important to us and quite simply without the income frm the Christmas concert our dept would have rotted away. Besides we do a hell of a lot of work to make it fantastic for the parents surely it would be nice for the dept to make some money to then improve itself. If we had to do it for free (well we do do it for free as teachers), and the dept didnt benefit, I would stop giving up my lunchtimes to run choir and orchestra and band etc and the concerts would vanish.

Starballbunny Thu 13-Feb-14 05:14:55

It was £28 for three if us to watch DDs play. These things are expensive to put on.

I can't remember what we pay for ordinary concerts, but paying is a fact of life. DDs out of school stuff costs to watch too. All day festival tickets - anyone.

The government don't appreciate the value of arts education and pushchair publishers rip off anyone who's honest and doesn't photo copy everything illegally. Music deptments, sadly need the money.

Starballbunny Thu 13-Feb-14 05:15:48

Pushchair???? Music

Starballbunny Thu 13-Feb-14 05:18:36

A primary school might get a grant towards music stands, play costumes etc from the PTA and the parents contribution might not be so obviously the ticket price, however marents end up paying just the same.

gobbin Thu 13-Feb-14 07:09:14

We charge £3 flat fee for concerts and whatever is necessary to recoup costs and make a profit for shows (usually £8/£6).

Marmitelover55 Thu 13-Feb-14 07:53:31

Just had a look at our spring concert ticket prices and its £5 for an adult and £3 for children/OAPs. It is held in a local concert hall (not school) and there will be a programme. Sounds like good value for money compared to the OPs then.

Greythorne Thu 13-Feb-14 07:57:08

Too much.

There should be a family ticket.

£5 per person
£8 for 2 people
£16 for 5

purpleroses Thu 13-Feb-14 08:01:24

If the money is more than needed to cover costs then it should be a voluntary donation.

Otherwise it should be going directly to the performers!

My DD's school charge nothing to attend performances, but have a collection on the way out. Better off parents often pop notes in the collection, but there's no obligation to put in anything more than a bit of loose change.

DS's school typically charge around £3 a person for concerts.

If you're involved in the PTA, could you not raise the issue there?

AmberLeaf Thu 13-Feb-14 08:02:46

Too much.

I would want to go and support, but that price could be prohibitive.

3nationsfamily Thu 13-Feb-14 09:27:23

Our school justified it by saying it was less than the cost of a cinema ticket which is fair enough I think for the experience of seeing live music performed and giving the children a chance to perform in front of a real audience. For how many people would this be the only live concert they would go to in the year- it is an important part of school and cultural life and well worth a fiver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now