Talk

Advanced search

Is this failing?

(9 Posts)
FiveHoursSleep Tue 11-Feb-14 13:59:11

DD is in year 7 of a semi selective school where the standard of work is generally quite high. She's used to doing pretty well, she's not often top of the class in subjects but usually near.
She came home yesterday all droopy lipped because she got a 6b in a geography test and said she was failing. The test before that she got a 7c which she was happy with but I know she's said she's got 6s before for other subjects and not been too upset.
I don't think that's that bad but really have nothing to compare it with as she's our eldest.
Does anyone know if this kind of mark at this time of the year means she is doing badly , or is she just being a drama queen?
We have parent teacher meetings next month, so of course I will ask then but I'd really appreciate a heads up of she's going to get a 'could do better'.

tiggytape Tue 11-Feb-14 14:39:33

Assuming she left primary school on level 5's (or possibly level 6's) a 6b represents the exact amount of progress expected half way through Year 7.
To give you an idea, a 6b is the expected level for the end of Year 9 so no, she is not failing.

FiveHoursSleep Tue 11-Feb-14 18:14:43

Thanks, I didn't think so. I'm putting it down to hormones hmm

Sthlonmum Tue 11-Feb-14 19:06:42

Not failing at all. Levels 6-8 are targets for the end of KS3 which can be year 9 in most schools. 6b in Geog is fine for year 7. The levels can vary in year when different topics are introduced. Talk it through with the teacher at parent evening and maybe try and talk to your daughter about why she thinks she is failing. Is the school doing enough to relieve the stress of their students is another question to ask.

ThreeBeeOneGee Tue 11-Feb-14 19:15:57

6B in Geography in Y7 is good. Would lead to A or A* by the end of Y11 if she continued to progress at expected rates.

PotteringAlong Tue 11-Feb-14 19:18:15

It depends what her target is at the end of year 7. School will know exactly if she's on her flight path or not.

Failing seems like a massively emotive way of putting it bit she might not be on target.

FiveHoursSleep Tue 11-Feb-14 21:24:09

We don't know what targets are yet as we haven't had PT consultations.I'm thinking it's more drama than reality as she is quite stressy about her marks, but it's something she is going to have to learn to manage.

PotteringAlong Tue 11-Feb-14 22:18:57

She will know her targets - they're a bit live and die by in schools at the moment smile

They're probably stuck on the front of her book or something.

tiggytape Tue 11-Feb-14 22:54:06

It takes a while at secondary school to get used to all of this sometimes.
In primary, they don't dwell on levels too much but at secondary school every child knows their current level, predicted level and Year 9 target in every subject.
Plus it goes up and down - she will do better at some aspects of geography than others so her level will vary from test to test. Yet several times each year, in every subject, she will be told a level which can feel a bit serious and stressful at first until year 8 when they declare they don’t care anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now