Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Chalfonts

(4 Posts)
sabaA Tue 11-Feb-14 11:17:33

Hi,
I am planning to move to either Little Chalfont or Chalfont common. Currently in Shepherds Bush.
Just wanted any advice on the area. I have 2ds in years 4 and 5. So will be applying for secondaries in the new academic year. Is one area nicer than the other? Are the schools okay?

Any advice and information would be appreciated. Thanks smile

MillyMollyMama Tue 11-Feb-14 13:46:51

Hi SabaA. Bucks is a Grammar School County and living at Little Chalfont or Chalfont Common you would be looking at Dr Challoner's High School for Girls in a Little Chalfont or Dr Challoner's Grammar School for Boys in Amersham. These schools take about 30% of the cohort although local schools may get many more than this to these schools. Your secondary modern would be the Chalfonts Community College. You will need to look at Bucks CCs guide to the 11+ because your elder DS will be sitting it very early in year 6.

I suggest, though, that you check to see which primary schools have spaces. Little Chalfont is extremely popular and may not have spaces. There are other local schools you may not want! I would draw up a list of schools you like, and are prepared to travel to, and then ring them to see if they have spaces in the year groups you want.

sabaA Tue 11-Feb-14 20:37:20

Thank you for your advice. I will now call up and check which primary schools have places.
Thanks again grin

MrsMot Wed 12-Feb-14 20:28:40

Agree with MMM, check where there are places. The areas are different in character too. Also if looking at Ofsted reports, bear in mind there was a spate of 'downgrading' recently. Several local primary schools lost their 'outstanding' rating, almost all have put in an appeal against this.

When it comes to senior schools, your Yr5 dd would be sitting the 11+ very early in September so look at the Bucks section of this website to see what you'll need to do to prepare her and also when you need to be in catchment by.

Chesham Grammar is the co-ed grammar which serves both and should your dd not be able to sit the 11+ in time, is far more likely to have places at 12+.

If you opt for Little Chalfont or Amersham Common, the bit between Little Chalfont and Amersham, the Amersham School would be your catchment upper school.

Grammars are often thought of as the be-all/end-all, both the Community College and Amersham School get extremely good results given that the top 30% of the local cohort goes to grammar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now