Talk

Advanced search

Secondary schools SW London

(14 Posts)
jbojames12 Fri 07-Feb-14 11:17:51

Im starting the process of trying to find a suitable secondary school for my lovely very artistic daughter. She was recently diagnosed with dyscalculia by her current school and has stuggled generally since she started.
I think ideally she would thrive in a smaller school, something along the lines of The Hall in Wimbledon.
Does anyone know of any similar schools?

reddidi Fri 07-Feb-14 13:12:56

Take a look at Canbury.

jbojames12 Sat 08-Feb-14 11:04:41

Thank you! Have sent off for a prospectus already.

Schmedz Sat 08-Feb-14 11:21:26

Moon Hall? Specifically for dyslexic children but teaching methodologies may well support dyscalculia...worth investigating if you have the funds. it's not cheap!

OnGoldenPond Sat 08-Feb-14 15:09:03

I live near Canbury and have not been impressed with some if the behaviour of pupils there and the refusal of staff to deal with it. Ask questions about this when you visit. School very cramped with literally no grounds.

A friend is very happy with Hurst Lodge in Ascot for her dyslexic DD

jbojames12 Wed 12-Feb-14 10:13:23

Thank you! Will do very helpful

pickledumpling Fri 14-Feb-14 09:21:32

Would not recommend hurst lodge, the senior school has many problems. I feel for you, my experience of non-selective private schools has not been good, it is so difficult finding a good school.

mary21 Fri 14-Feb-14 09:32:37

St Catherine's Twickenham?.
Thames Christian College . Clapham?

OnGoldenPond Fri 14-Feb-14 17:29:09

What are specific problems in Hurst Lodge senior school? Friend's DD in yr 9 doing very well there but was very badly served by other supposedly non selective schools who refused to help with her dyslexia.

pickledumpling Sat 08-Mar-14 08:41:37

Hurst lodge is not on the list of accredited dyslexia friendly schools (CRESTED). They charge extra fees for dyslexia lessons, on top of normal school fee. I would strongly recommend looking at other schools on the CRESTED list. Hurst's pupil intake has increased in the last few years. Bad behaviour is a major issue and the increase in boys has exacerbated the problem in the senior school.

Millais Sat 08-Mar-14 10:42:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Millais Sat 08-Mar-14 10:44:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bromstan67 Thu 13-Mar-14 18:21:40

I would really like to hear from parents at hurst lodge senior school,
Are children happy there? Are parents pleased with the school?
There seems to be quite a lot of negative opinions about it at the moment, would be interested to hear any positive comments.
Thank you

Fabury72 Mon 13-Jun-16 18:51:47

Yes me too.....any info about friends behaviour etc would be good. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now