Talk

Advanced search

Daughter (15) revising for progress tests and French speaking gcse exam. Revising a lot

(9 Posts)
Dreamgirls234 Thu 06-Feb-14 20:11:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AMumInScotland Fri 07-Feb-14 12:02:45

When she takes breaks, does she go outside? She'd be best making sure her eyes get a rest from focussing, so looking at things far away, or just closing her eyes so they do that anyway, might help.

yourlittlesecret Fri 07-Feb-14 13:23:54

Some of these tests will be more important than others.
It sounds as though the French is a Controlled Assessment which forms part of the GCSE. The others sound like internal school mock exams.
If she is only in year 10 this is far too much, which I suspect you already know. If your DD is very able she really doesn't need to work that hard to get her grades, she is doing massive overkill.
One thing worth knowing is that the real GCSEs are spread over a much longer period than two weeks and they have, of course, much more than 2 weeks notice.

Just for comparison - I have a DS2 in Year 11. I would not class him as gifted but he is quite able. He gets A* in tests and is predicted A* in all but one of his GCSEs. He had mocks before Christmas, given 2 weeks notice. All crammed into 1 week. I doubt that he spent more than 2 hours in any one day revising, often less. Now I would have preferred him to do a little more than that but certainly nothing on the scale of your DD.

Dreamgirls234 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:10:54

clary Sat 08-Feb-14 00:56:02

Sorry yr DD is having such a struggle OP.

I agree the French CA is really important so I would get her to focus on that. As it is a speaking one can you do it in a fun way? You help her, write bits of it by the mirror in the bathroom, ask her a question over breakfast etc?

Dreamgirls234 Sat 08-Feb-14 10:29:25

Saharap2 Sat 08-Feb-14 10:39:43

If her school work is so easy and she is not feeling challenged, why does she need to spend so much time cramming? Either she is not finding it as easy as she says or she is doing all this excessive revision unnecessarily. Does she seem very anxious about it?

yourlittlesecret Sat 08-Feb-14 11:45:22

I agree with what Saharap2 says. If she is bored and gifted she should be able to sail through these exams. Schools label lots of pupils G&T it just means they are in the top 5%.
You need to find out why she thinks she needs to do excessive amounts of revision. If she were to sit the mocks with much less revision it might help her to find out where her weaknesses (if any) are.
I would sit down with her and draw up a sensible timetable of no more than a couple of hours a day and make her stick to it before she makes herself ill.

clary Sat 08-Feb-14 14:51:28

Oh yes if her work is easy and she is bored then I don't understand why learning 400 words for a speaking CA is such a challenge? She should have it off pat now.

What's the issue? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now