Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

11+ or not with large family

(4 Posts)
Decisionsagain Wed 05-Feb-14 22:01:09

Hi there

We have five children; eldest is in year 4. He and my 7 year old love learning and are doing really well. Ds gets really frustrated that the work at school is always too easy.

We've just moved to Surrey and are renting. Kids are happy in school but love moving around. Obviously as they get older we need to settle : //

Dh and I are now talking secondary. The secondary school around here has a great reputation but we feel our eldest two would have a great chance of passing the 11+. I think we would be looking at Bucks - Kent wouldn't be right for us for family reasons. And I don't think I would want the stress of super selectives.

However, I can't decide whether I would want the stress of 5 children going through the process!!! Would I have grey hair - my kids are all 20 months apart so it would be pretty constant. And what about those children in my family who don't pass? Would they feel like a failure if they don't pass? I would hate that. Or do they just accept it wouldn't be the right school for them.

I'm an ex-grammar girl and had a great education. But we really can't decide whether to start thinking about a move to grammar school territory. Would it be worth the stress? Or would a secondary school be better?

Dromedary Thu 06-Feb-14 01:03:30

If the local secondary has a great reputation I would stick with that. There will be streaming.
If you want to move to a grammar area, just make sure that you are in the catchment area of a good comp, or it would be too much of a sacrifice for the children who don't get into grammar. The problem being that schools change over that kind of timespan.

ThreeBeeOneGee Thu 06-Feb-14 07:13:50

Try the SW Herts consortium (Watford Boys', Parmiters etc). If the first gets in, they're all in (if there are five of them and the eldest is Y4, I'm assuming there aren't any big age gaps). You'd have to move to the catchment area, but the outer catchment for academic places is huge.

purpleroses Thu 06-Feb-14 11:39:02

DP and I have 6 between us, 5 of whom have already sat entrance exam at 11+ - 4 passed and 1 didn't. The one who didn't is absolutely fine at his school, but it is a stress, and definitely much harder on the less academic children to be aware that they may not be able to go where their siblings are.

If you've got the option of a good comprehensive that sets by ability I'd definitely go for that instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now